Sim card for roaming

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sallar55

Veteran
Had a Virgin sim card , monthly one for roaming abroad (Spain and Ireland) . O2 one now, think that 02 and Virgin merged, the Virgin one picked up G4 all the way up thro Spain and Ireland. Pissed off that the 02 one only gives me G2 even in a city like Malaga. Other half has 02 on a contract and its fine G4 signal, wondering if O2 have restricted the new sim cards ( monthly version) ?

Ive not been abroad since the merger (move to the O2 network). Looks like with O2 you have to pay for a Travel Bolt On if you want full coverage. Which is annoying as the last time I was abroad everyone communicated through WhatsApp 👎

Edit I'm reading it wrong they claim to have free coverage up to 25Gb :-/

https://www.o2.co.uk/international/using-your-phone-abroad

Last edited:

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I got swapped from Virgin to 02 earlier this year and had no trouble with roaming in Spain And France.

Low Gear Guy

Veteran
Does anyone still need roaming with all the connectivity offered by the internet and free hotspots?

Most campsites in France do not offer WiFi. For sites which do offer WiFi in the UK this is often only useable in the vicinity of the reception block.

OP
OP
S

Sallar55

Veteran
I got swapped from Virgin to 02 earlier this year and had no trouble with roaming in Spain And France.
I bought a monthly sim card, as my mobile contract provider ditched free roaming in Europe. Are you on a contract or monthly?

Gwylan

Veteran
I have Lebara 5gb data and unlimited calls. Rolling contract.
Look at MSE, for their Lebara SIM only deals.
Then they are advertising a better deal on TV tonight.
Things might have moved on.

Worked in Eire, France and Croatia this summer.

Have a Penny mobile card in my tablet. Has a longer lifetime

OP
OP
S

Sallar55

Veteran
Working now, was a no hassle change from my 3 contract to Virgin monthly for abroad. The O2 was stuck on the H+ symbol,now fixed . Probably a hiccup with my sim card order .

Alex321

Veteran
Does anyone still need roaming with all the connectivity offered by the internet and free hotspots?

Unless you have access to one of those free hotspots, "the internet" connectivity requires roaming.

Yes, most hotels nowadays will have WiFi, often free but not always. And if you are in cities, there will often be various free hotspots around.

But once you are out in the country, away from the cities, you are going to need roaming if you want to access anything.

I have Lebara 5gb data and unlimited calls. Rolling contract.
Look at MSE, for their Lebara SIM only deals.
Then they are advertising a better deal on TV tonight.
Things might have moved on.

Worked in Eire, France and Croatia this summer.

Have a Penny mobile card in my tablet. Has a longer lifetime

Another vote for Lebara. We pay £4.90 per month for 5Gb including EU roaming. Works on 5G where available. There are probably better deals now…

Top Bottom