Simon Cowell

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I must say, its completely different. The request to a limit lift to 20 mph in line with parts of Europe and USA is not the same as a 60+ mph electric motorcycle.

Its more to do with acceleration than speed, I've never seen a e-bike do a power wheelie :biggrin:
I wasn't sure what he was on at the time all I knew was overpowered e bike so I just assumed it was a modded overated one not a machine that is basically a e motorcycle with cranks.the premise still stands

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
It's good to know then that his only lesson from the whole debacle was to read the manual :rolleyes:

Men are not genetically designed to read instruction manuals, especially not until after using the thing the manual relates to. Men just jump in and fiddle around and hope for the best. Usually, this approach seems to work OK......

CXRAndy

Guru
I wasn't sure what he was on at the time all I knew was overpowered e bike so I just assumed it was a modded overated one not a machine that is basically a e motorcycle with cranks.the premise still stands

You're using a E motorcycle to argue an E-bike(cycle) shouldn't have the speed lifted.

I've yet to read of research that there is a disproportionate increase in KSI from riders using 20 mph e-bike compared to 15.6 mph

There is a very good argument that an e-bike should be able to match the speed limit, 20 mph would be appropriate in towns and cities with lots of councils now introducing 20 mph as the standard. This would go a long way to negating drivers overtaking cyclists- safer for vulnerable road users.

Have you seen the consultation on the revised highway code? It proposes to offer greater protections to vulnerable road users. One example, riders on narrower roads use the centre of the lane to help prevent squeeze by situations.

Have you ridden an e-bike, even a modded one? The acceleration is not brake neck, and certainly nothing compared to 200 hp motorcycle- Ive got one V-max ^_^

Sub 10 sec 1/4 miles

View: https://youtu.be/hdV3bLoCUz8

Now, an E motorcycle can do those types of accelerations. Here is something similar to Cowell's bike against a Tesla model 3 Performance. https://electrek.co/2020/08/11/tesla-model-y-vs-sur-ron-electric-motorbike-ev-drag-race/

Yes the Tesla won, but boy didn't the e-motorcycle shift.

Drago

Legendary Member
I don't know why people prattle on about increasing the assistance speed limit on ebikes. If that's what they want, get a speed pedelec, do all the paperwork, get insurance, and away you go.

But that requires a bit of effort and expense, and there are always people that want to both have their cake and eat it.

Ps - I wish I could afford to keep buying back tyres to enable me to ride my '91 V-Max like that.

I don't know why people prattle on about increasing the assistance speed limit on ebikes. If that's what they want, get a speed pedelec, do all the paperwork, get insurance, and away you go.

But that requires a bit of effort and expense, and there are always people that want to both have their cake and eat it.

Ps - I wish I could afford to keep buying back tyres to enable me to ride my '91 V-Max like that.
Oops someone doesn't like e bikes

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Dont be daft - I own an ebike.
You are spot on about there being a good case that 20mph ebikes would be safer overall in towns and cities.

Plus a driver who has not been frustrated with his encounter with an ebike is less likely to have a car to car or car to pedestrian collision further down the road.

cyberknight

If people want a faster e bike then let them as long as they have the appropriate insurance , VED and CBT test etc i have no quibble ,raising the limit to 20 is getting into 2 stroke chicken chaser speed .

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
If people want a faster e bike then let them as long as they have the appropriate insurance , VED and CBT test etc i have no quibble ,raising the limit to 20 is getting into 2 stroke chicken chaser speed .
an ebike can go as fast as you can pedal it. Mine has been upto 50mph downhill and near 30mph on the flat, at those speeds there is NO assistance.........so no insurance, ved and cbt required, so why should i require them to get 20mph assist??

cyberknight

an ebike can go as fast as you can pedal it. Mine has been upto 50mph downhill and near 30mph on the flat, at those speeds there is NO assistance.........so no insurance, ved and cbt required, so why should i require them to get 20mph assist??
I am aiming my thoughts at the many who buy an e bike who are not fit cyclists and want to bomb about as fast as they can with no thought to the general populace , i count people on here with having some common sense but i believe most given the chance will fall into the more powah mode without thought for anyone else.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
I am aiming my thoughts at the many who buy an e bike who are not fit cyclists and want to bomb about as fast as they can with no thought to the general populace , i count people on here with having some common sense but i believe most given the chance will fall into the more powah mode without thought for anyone else.
I believe your aiming your thoughts to ebikers who require more assistance than 15.6mph and would like the 20mph assistance that is allowable within the US.....it’s irrelevant that some are members of this forum.

and even if 20mph of assistance is given by an ebike it’s still far less than the speeds that can be reached on a pedal bike, that can weigh the same and be ridden by those same riders that you elude to be thinking of

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I believe your aiming your thoughts to ebikers who require more assistance than 15.6mph and would like the 20mph assistance that is allowable within the US.....

My understanding was that the 20mph limit (allowed in the US) you refer to is not the point at which pedalling no longer becomes assisted, it's the cut off for the speed attainable under electric power alone, i.e. without pedalling. Is that not correct?

Top Bottom