Simple AA powered digital camera?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

scraynes

Über Member
Hi all,

Just wondering if any of you have got any suggestions for a compact, simple and cheap AA powered digital camera.

I've found this one, but just wondering if there are any alternatives?

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I bought this one for £50 in Sainsburys a couple of weeks ago to replace the same one that I'd broken!
It's simple and with AA Lithium batteries it lats a 2 or 3 week holiday load of 400 or more snaps.

Norm

I've had a lot of joy from Canon Powershots, like the A1100, which take 2xAA batteries. That's a lot of camera for £100.

I think most of the Canon Powershot A series (like this A480) take AA batteries.

OP
OP
scraynes

scraynes

Über Member
Rich,

Thanks for your replies. I like to look of the canon and like the idea that it's one of the big 3 names. I went into town here yesterday and found this, so just went for it. I figured for that money I couldn't go wrong.

toroddf

Scraynes. I have the exact same camera myself and it is good. It does what it should do. Mine is silver though. I envy you.....

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
scraynes said:
Rich,

Thanks for your replies. I like to look of the canon and like the idea that it's one of the big 3 names. I went into town here yesterday and found this, so just went for it. I figured for that money I couldn't go wrong.

Work just fine, my 10 y/o lad has one and he takes some great pics... I borrow it too for my cycle trips... you can't go wrong for that price.

Good buy I reckon.

I remember when I first started eBaying as a sideline business - in the early days when PayPal was a little-heard-of US thing and eBay used a thing called "Billpoint" and I needed a digi-cam better than the VGA thing that was bundled with my £1200-worth of "blisteringly fast" (lol) 1.2GHz "Time Machine"

Careful shopping got me a 2.0 megapixel Olympus with 3x optical zoom, charger, case, and a promotional free years insurance against theft for the "bargain price" of £250

I reckon I could go out and leave that camera on the roof on my car in the street and it would still be there in the morning!

Speicher

Vice Admiral
Sheffield_Tiger said:
Careful shopping got me a 2.0 megapixel Olympus with 3x optical zoom, charger, case, and a promotional free years insurance against theft for the "bargain price" of £250

I reckon I could go out and leave that camera on the roof on my car in the street and it would still be there in the morning!

I have just bought a camera from the Oxfam on-line shop.

Olympus C310 zoom 3.2 megapixel, 3x zoom, there is still the stickers on it from new - £10 plus £2 postage and packaging. There is an Olympus memory card in it, which I guess might have cost me more than the camera. Is that the one you left on top of your car? :blush:

rh100

I'm expecting a Samsung camera (same model as in OP) to turn up today, thought it looked good for the price. We had a Canon powershot before for casual use, as the SLR I have is too big to lug around for chance shots, it worked really well but the CCD went and probably eneconomical to repair, would have bought another Canon but the samsung looked good for the money. Got a 4GB card from Amazon quite cheap aswell.

looks like you got a bargain there Speicher. 3.2 megapixels is more than enough for most peoples requirements, the 10mp on the Samsung i ordered is overkill for me and will be turning it down if possible to save on memory space.

Not "compact", but the Fuji S series combines the abilities of larger lenses at a good price

Fujifilm-FinePix-S1600-Specifications.jpg

Speicher

Vice Admiral
rh100 - I have looked on the Amazon site for a larger memory card than the one the camera came with, but I am confused. Unlike batteries, it does not give a identifying size etc to the cards.

How do I know which one will fit this camera? The last time I needed to buy a memory card, the local (independant, family owned) Computer shop helped me find the right one. It looks like their prices were very competitive, but they understandably carry a small stock.

Norm

Speicher

Your camera will take an XD Picture Card, which are less popular than the other formats but still easily available from somewhere like Amazon.

And, don't forget, if you buy "goods" on line, you are covered by the Distance Selling Regulations and you can return them within a week, even if they aren't faulty. Just be careful when you open the packaging.

Top Bottom