Simple speedometer?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

S.Giles

"Actually, it's a pain in the neck. We don't know who you are responding to without scrolling possibly through many posts or even pages."

Why do you need to know who I'm responding to? It's the statement that's important, rather than who said it, and that's right there in the quote. If I'm responding to you, you'll surely recognise your own quote(?) I don't habitually respond to old posts from pages back, anyway, so it should never get too confusing. If it all gets too much for you, just ignore me, I won't be offended!

Steve

Last edited:
"Actually, it's a pain in the neck. We don't know who you are responding to without scrolling possibly through many posts or even pages."

Why do you need to know who I'm responding to? It's the statement that's important, rather than who said it, and that's right there in the quote. If I'm responding to you, you'll surely recognise your own quote(?) I don't habitually respond to old posts from pages back, anyway, so it should never get too confusing. If it all gets too much for you, just ignore me, I won't be offended!

Steve
You asked if anyone minded, some said they did and gave reasons. You now say just ignore me, we mostly try to be friendly and fit in around here and, frankly, I can see no reason why you prefer to cut'n'paste stuff and embolden it where you could just press the reply button. Why do you do it your way?

S.Giles

By the time you press the 'quote' button, and then weed out all the parts of the quote that are irrelevant, it's just as easy to cut-and-paste what you wanted in the first place. I've seen many quotes on this forum where irrelevant points have been left in, ie, the whole original post has been 'quoted', even though most of it is not pertainant. This is lazy (and that's ironic on a cycling forum, I'm sure you'll agree!). At least with my way the reader knows exactly to what I'm referring (even if a little contextual information is lost, as mentioned previously).

I like to be very clear in what point I'm answering, and cutting and pasting the relevant part helps me to achieve that. In addition, I sometimes quote from several different posts in one reply. This may be possible with the 'quote' button (I don't know), but would give an unattractive 'blocky' appearance to the post.

Steve

Last edited:
Top Bottom