Simple speedometer?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Most cheap ones, the only programming you have to do is enter the circumference of your wheel (so it can calculate distance etc). Pick them up for about a tenner from Asda etc.
I agree. I use cheapy Halfords computers on both bikes. Can't stand the idea of using high tec stuff. I ride my bike to get away from the modern age.
If you go to a site called "BikeCalc.com", you'll find a calculation table that makes it easy to program a computer with the right numbers depending upon your wheel and tyre size. I've tested it. It works. Simples.

S.Giles

I just bought a wireless cycle computer off Ebay, for £4.99 (incl. delivery)! I think I'm right in believing that's less than the battery replacement cost. Very simple to set up and use, with not even any wires to run. The version with a connecting wire was < £3 delivered, but I splashed out on the fancy one. Hang the expense, it's only money after all.

Steve

U

User6179

I just bought a wireless cycle computer off Ebay, for £4.99 (incl. delivery)! I think I'm right in believing that's less than the battery replacement cost. Very simple to set up and use, with not even any wires to run. The version with a connecting wire was < £3 delivered, but I splashed out on the fancy one. Hang the expense, it's only money, after all.

Steve

You just need to buy a bike now to put it on ^_^

S.Giles

You just need to buy a bike now to put it on

It came with a free bike included :-)

To be fair, the complicated stuff to do with the GPS is done for us by other people.

Yes, the task of designing and building several geo-stationary satellites, funding and organising their deployment, and developing a device that can make use of their signals to determine its exact geographic position and velocity would, in fairness, be beyond most people.

Steve

Last edited:
I agree. I use cheapy Halfords computers on both bikes. Can't stand the idea of using high tec stuff. I ride my bike to get away from the modern age.
If you go to a site called "BikeCalc.com", you'll find a calculation table that makes it easy to program a computer with the right numbers depending upon your wheel and tyre size. I've tested it. It works. Simples.
Bet you take your phone ;) (could be wrong though), I dont have one.

@jack smith I currently am using the rider 20 in the mount that came with the Edge 500 I had (quarter turn type). The 705 ( I presume the 605, 205, 305) has a different mount,

Yes, the task of designing and building several geo-stationary satellites, funding and organising their deployment, and developing a device that can make use of their signals to determine its exact geographic position and velocity would, in fairness, be beyond most people.

Speak for yourself, I was a rocket surgeon in a previous life.

So I suppose age, weight would be too even though you dont need to input wheel size

S.Giles

"Steve, if you hit the "Reply" button in the bottom RH corner of a post, it will create quotes for you. Save you a bit of work, and us a bit of confusion......"

Does anyone mind if I keep doing it like that ↑? I can handle the work if you can handle the confusion :-)

Look, I've even put quotation marks around it!

Steve

NormanD

Lunatic Asylum Escapee
There's nothing wrong with a pen / paper / map and good old sextant and a compass and a trumeter strapped to the front of the bike to take away this new fangled technical stuff and put the fun back into cycling :bicycle:

"Steve, if you hit the "Reply" button in the bottom RH corner of a post, it will create quotes for you. Save you a bit of work, and us a bit of confusion......"

Does anyone mind if I keep doing it like that ↑? I can handle the work if you can handle the confusion :-)

Steve
The advantage of using the reply key is that when it puts the quote in a little up arrow appears next to, in this case, 'S Giles said' that allows anyone to navigate to the original post to see the context around the quoted post.

MikeG

Guru

Steve

Actually, it's a pain in the neck. We don't know who you are responding to without scrolling possibly through many posts or even pages.

There's nothing wrong with a pen / paper / map and good old sextant and a compass and a trumeter strapped to the front of the bike to take away this new fangled technical stuff and put the fun back into cycling :bicycle:
Lets just do away with the internet then, and your mobile phone your smart t.v. do you want me to go on ;)
I personally would like a little more info than I can currently see on one screen, Sp, cad, hrz, distance and time, I can work with less but i do like to see my cad (even though I have a good idea what it is), I can do the paper thing the map thing, but gee it can be slow, and I am that on the bike :laugh:

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
:eek: I manage to get lost with a Garmin!
:eek:

Top Bottom