Simplex derailleur damage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Sorry you've been disappointed. You asked: "if anybody else has had or seen similar damage"
My answer (added as an edit in my post above) is: no, not seen, but I can envisage how the damage could have happened. Bear in mind the force a body weight plus on the pedal transmitted (geared up by crank length / chainring radius) through a chain (2000N+) can exert.
Anyway, may I suggest you have a careful look at the right hand spokes of your rear wheel. Give them a good clean and run a paper towel along them to see if there is damage. I'd also suggest that you check your rear derailleur alignment - that is: is the hanger exactly vertical in both planes? It's very likely that the jamming experienced and the damage to the RD cage will also have pulled the RD/hanger out of alignment. @screenman is the forum advocate.
Finally, examining the image you shared in the OP, the chain is coming off the tension pulley wheel at an extreme angle, which I assume is because the photo was taken with the chain on the smallest chainring and the smallest sprocket. You will know (with your 50+ years of cycling experience) that cross-chaining is to be avoided. Maybe this contributed to the jam and damage? Or maybe the cage has been twisted (either in the initial incident or during your remedial bending work).

Last edited:

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
@Clementsmanic
This a friendly place, and you will get sensible answers to your questions, but coming in with conspiracy theories for the damage to your bike, and the possible loss of life you may or may not suffer is really not the way forward.
You have been given sound advice about the state of the rear mech, and what to do about it, plus other hints on the general state of your machine.
Please do not take umbrage with the various posters to your question.
Feel free to return at any time.:smile:

I've seen damage like this but not from a kick. The derailleur caught in the spokes.
I'm sorry if you feel a victim but how would the damage cause a nasty accident? If someone wanted to harm you they'd be more effective things to do to the bike. Think of brakes and maybe the front fork.
I can't see the police taking it seriously.

OP
OP
C

Clementsmanic

I've seen damage like this but not from a kick. The derailleur caught in the spokes.
I'm sorry if you feel a victim but how would the damage cause a nasty accident? If someone wanted to harm you they'd be more effective things to do to the bike. Think of brakes and maybe the front fork.
I can't see the police taking it seriously.
The reason I've posted is to rule out a conspiracy theory if possible, so as to not waste police time.
It's very strange, very particular and very technical damage, so I have every sensible right to query it, especially since I fell out with my local cycle shop and on that day an old saddle was left on my door as if to say 'We know where you live' OK?

• Wow
Reactions: C R

kenmiles

Poor Clementsmanic. You seem to fall out with a lot of people trying to help you. What did you do with the saddle?

Ajax Bay

Guru
The reason I've posted is to rule out a conspiracy theory if possible, so as to not waste police time.
It's very strange, very particular and very technical damage, so I have every sensible right to query it,
Your reason's understood and well worth asking the question (though maybe with less prejudice). On the basis of the comments above, I hope you have now "rule[d] out a conspiracy theory" in your own mind?

Reactions: C R
It's very strange, very particular and very technical damage, so I have every sensible right to query it, especially since I fell out with my local cycle shop and on that day an old saddle was left on my door as if to say 'We know where you live' OK?
Or to say 'Here's your saddle we don't want to see you in our shop again'?
I'm sorry but how would posting on this site would rule out (or in) your conspiracy theory?
Replies have tended to say it wasn't wilful damage but has this put your mind at rest? I may be wrong but I don't think so.

boydj

Legendary Member
Really really poor replies.

I joined expecting proper expert opinion not the drivel posted above.

The only poor reply is this one.

You come in new to a forum, where there are a lot of experienced cyclists, asking about some damage to your rear mech, indicating a rusty chain and a chain jam on your last outing and then get upset when nobody takes your theory of deliberate damage seriously. You had a lot of serious replies indicating possible causes and all you can do is insult people..................

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom