Since when did Tern use the N-Fold arrangement?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

arnop

Regular
My old Link just folds like a knife, the front wheel/fork points backwards when folded.
New Tern bikes all seem to use the N-fold arrangement. Which I prefer.
On my bike, the magnet holder is on the wrong side.

Since when is the N-Fold arrangement standard on these bikes?

brommieinkorea

Explain "N" fold very possible no one understands and hence no helpful answer.

berlinonaut

Veteran
Explain "N" fold very possible no one understands and hence no helpful answer.

Don't see the problem in understanding. The Tern bikes fold via their hinge the front end to the left side. They used to do this like a folding knife, simple movement, front wheel pointing backwards when folded.
@arnop says since an unknown point in time this would have changed to an N-fold: Same mechanism but now the frontwheel points forward in folded state (and thus the magnet, that connects the folded bike, has to be on the opposite side of the frontwheel than before: on the right instead on the left).
"n-Fold" is a pretty common term when talking about folding bikes.

The lack of answers may simply be because no one knows the answer. I for my part i.e. know what a N-fold is but am not interested in Terns, so I have no clue. Did not even know that they moved to N-fold.

OP
OP
A

arnop

Regular
Well my 2015 Link does not have it.
But I must say that 2015 is what the previous owner told my - maybe the bike is indeed older...

OT:
Tern Link Uno
How do you manage to get around without gears?
Did you adjust the gears to fit your everyday way to work?
And do you feel the less weight is worth the loss of flexibility when driving?

chriswoody

Legendary Member
Well my 2015 Link does not have it.
But I must say that 2015 is what the previous owner told my - maybe the bike is indeed older...

OT:

How do you manage to get around without gears?
Did you adjust the gears to fit your everyday way to work?
And do you feel the less weight is worth the loss of flexibility when driving?

It's hard to accurately date the bikes to be fair, not only do the specifications continually change, but bikes sometimes sit around unsold for a while. My Link, whilst bought new by me, had actually languished unbought in the shop for 18 months prior to my purchase.

I actually live on the Northern German Plain, an area so flat, it makes the Netherlands look like the Alps. I've actually modified the gears more to increase the speed of the bike, so I currently have a 52 chainring mated to a 12 tooth cog at the back. The only real incline I ever encounter is the incline out of the subway under the railway bridge. I find the bike an absolute blast to ride and don't feel I've lost any flexibility at all.

Whilst it is a light bike and dead easy to carry around German train stations, the real draw for me is the simplicity and the reliability that comes from that. The hub has a coaster brake in it and I tend to strip it down for a clean once a year, aside from that, it is an incredibly simple and cheap machine to run, ideal for a daily commuter that this bike is.

OP
OP
A

arnop

Regular
Thanks for the interesting report.

Well flat land is mostly great for riding, but the wind...

I wonder if a 2-speed automatic hub is a viable compromise, it has a low gear and a hub brake.
But those hubs are as rare as the singlespeeders.

Top Bottom