Single Bolt

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I am after a single bolt. Specifically one that holds my mudguard to my frame. I know I could use anything that screws in but I am after a flat headed one (no idea what size or what it is called) so that less crap catches the bolt head - it is between the inside of the mudguard and the tyre!

It looks like this and uses an 8mm spanner to tighten it (something I need to remember to do more of :whistle:). My OH tells me that this will tell you what you need to know... how I am not certain but I failed today to get one and need one within the next 10 days and my step-father who probably has a drawer full of them is away from home...

DSC_0065.JPG

Thanks

(PS - yes I know I am doing the useless woman act on names again... sorry)

winjim

Smash the cistern
I think what you need is an M5 bolt. M5 refers to the dimensions of the thread. I bet someone on here's got a ton of 'em.

OP
OP
SatNavSaysStraightOn

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Changed hemispheres!
not sure it is 5mm wide for the thread though. It screws into the across piece of both the chain stays (before the BB V) and the seat stays... if that makes any sense...
(Its my off-road touring bike). Totally failing at finding a ruler in the household.... :laugh:

Asa Post

Super Iconic Legend
I can't supply one, because I only use bolts that take Allen keys, but if nobody offers to give you one (ooh... er) they are easily and quickly available at Amazon. You need to know the length required. Traditionally, bolts are measured by the length of the threaded part - the head is not included.
I've always managed to find someone offering free postage, and the longest I've had to wait for delivery is 3 days.
Buy a few and you'll have spares for when it happens again :smile:

edindave

Über Member
I needed a spacer to fit a mudguard on my hybrid, so went into an LBS to enquire/ask for advice. The lass went out back and returned to hand me a small bag full of spacers and bolts of various lengths and said 'see how you get on with these'.

Pop into your LBS - they'll have buckets of them!

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
You want an M5 roofing bolt. Most DIY places will sell you a box of 100...

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
There's a seller called "Boltbase" on eBay who's excellent as well - I needed a longer bolt for my front mudguard (after adding a crown mounted cable hanger) and sourced it, and a few spares from them.

I'd also second (for anyone else looking in) the LBS - mine has a few boxes of usefully sized bolts, spacers and brackets.

Top Bottom