Single Chainring chain guides?.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

keithmac

Guru
Hello all, my lad is waiting for his single chainring MTB to arrive.

Looking at the pictures it doesn't have a chain guide on the front.

He likes going to the local bike track so I'm presuming he'll have issues with it throwing the chain off?, (it has a clutched rear derailleur).

What's best chain guide, are they all much of a muchness?.

Saying that does anyone on here run a single ring without a guide and no issues?.

Cheers all.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
A clutched RD should stop it throwing the chain.

No clutch you defo need a chain guide, my non clutched 1x used to throw the chain off-road until I got the chain guide positioned properly.

clutch and guide is probably overkill

You can also use the "single specific" chainrings (darn, forgotten the proper term!)
I've had no problems on my single-ring commuter since buying one. No clutch, no guide - and it did throw the chain fairly often with a conventional chain-ring.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I'll find out soon, I'm waiting for a single speed chainset to arrive as I'm going to replace the 36/22 double with it. The 22 is ridiculous for me as I only ride tarmac and the Microshift front setup is crap (The 7 speed rear is ok though).

According to the description the chainring supplied with the new cranks is narrow/wide single specific (All for a hefty £27.29). If I do throw the chain I'll fit a guide though seven sprockets shouldn't make it much of an issue.

Time trialists were still mainly using single rings when seven speed was the most you could get and I don't remember dropped chains being an issue.

Last edited:
It depends on the terrain ( well it does for me) I raced XC and XC single chainring on both bikes clutched rear dearailleur never threw a chain. I then started a new commute route along a canal with corrugated bricks surfaces in places.( seemingly just to slow bikes down though originally for horses to get grip) It dam well throws a chain nearly every time unless I keep pressure going through the chain . I fitted a chain guide and it works ( mostly)

OP
OP
keithmac

keithmac

Guru
Cheers all, he's got road, off road tracks and the local jump track where he likes going.

Was thinking the jump track might be a step too far for flinging the chain.

figbat

Slippery scientist
I run my hardtail with a single, narrow-wide, oval chainring, a clutched derailleur and no chain guide and so far haven’t dropped the chain - I ride tracks and trails and they can get pretty bumpy with occasional chain slap (even with the clutch) but no derailment.

Top Bottom