Single chainring

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dudi

I'm planning my next bike build... I have 2 questions relating to the crankset:

Is there anything wrong with having just a single chainring? I ride a fixie most of the time with an 84" gear and wonder if I really need 2 chain rings.

Is it best to buy a complete groupset or the parts individually?

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
nothing wrong with just one chainring. It depends what you want to run, and if you want to spend lots of money.
check www.hubjub.co.uk for ideas. truly great company, quick delivery too

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
A single chainring is the best option for the correct chainline. With fixed you do not need a groupset as half the parts won't be any use.

And don't bother with a back brake, they are for mumpties.

mickle

innit
Since Mrs Mickle will never be able to comprehend how a front shifter works I converted her bike to an eight speed. It's a perfectly acceptable set-up but you'll need to install a chain keeper of some kind to prevent the chain falling off the ring, I 'made' hers from an old XT mech and simply screwed in the inner limit screw to set the resting position. You'll need single ring bolts and to be able to set the ring somewhere near to the centre line of the rear cassette. You will have trouble finding a groupset with a single RH shifter mind you...

What kind of bike is it?

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I've had a couple of bikes with a single front chainring. One was an Airnimal Joey, which I used for commuting, day rides and even some touring.

I ran this sort of arrangement on my commute bike for a year or so. I figured I'd need to buy a chainguide but never got around to it. It worked, I didn't have any problems with the chain unshipping -just luck I suspect. It was a hack bike and if I was doing it properly i'd've bought some chainguides (Salsa cycles do them), or one chainguide and a chain-watcher.

I thought about doing it with the cross bike I'm building, but I wanted the brake levers to be about the same size so figured I'd need to fit both STI levers anyway (I could've used a bar-end shifter I suppose).

OP
OP
dudi

dudi

Well my fave bike is my fixie, the setup is perfect. so i'm looking to build a bike almost exactly the same, but with gears & freewheel etc for longer rides.

My fixie is set up with syntace base bars and tri-bars. aero brakes on the base bar, but only the front callper is on the bike. I'd like to have a similar setup on my new bike, so would need aero brakes and bar end shifters on the tri-bars. not sure how easy bar end shifters are to use though... might be a bit of a pain in the arse.

because i'm used to pushing the big gear all the time, I don't think I really need a small chainring round here.
Maybe I should put on a proper groupset and just keep it on the big ring... oh I don't know.

choices choices...

Smokin Joe said:
A single chainring is the best option for the correct chainline. With fixed you do not need a groupset as half the parts won't be any use.

And don't bother with a back brake, they are for mumpties.[/quote]

depends where you live or how thick you are, one brake down barbondale or kingsdale/deepdale into dent is impossible/stupid.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I've been down 25% gradients with only a front brake. Back pressure on the pedals is just as efficient because a rear brake is only going to lock the wheel and dump you on your arse at any more than minimal pressure.

Top Bottom