Single chainring?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

roman.fianta

Hello, would you recommend single chainring for a MTB? I like the range of my 3 front chainrings - using low gears for steep hills and high gears for riding fast during slight downhills.. Will I miss the range?
I found a great comparison at https://wickwerks.com/single-front-chainring/ (scroll down for comparison graphs) and it seems that especially the high gears will be missing even with 11-speed front chainring. What is your experience?

Bobario

Veteran
Hello, I swapped from three chainrings to a single about 4 or 5 years ago and yes I do still miss the range of gears. I would say I miss the high gears more than the low ones, your legs get stronger to compensate for the lack of lower gears.

On the other hand, it is a hell of a lot simpler to index your gears with only one chainring up front. You also only have one shifter to deal with.

So on the whole I would say if you are happy with what you have stick with it. I wouldn't say having one ring is a massive improvement over having three.

The way I look at it is ......
A triple adds 4-5 more sprockets to a setup and a double adds 2-3 more vs a single chainring.
If you can get the range of gears with the correct sized steps between the gears off a single chainring, then go for it.
If you cannot then multiple chainring do add a lot more options to the mix both in gear range and gear step size.
I'm of the option that more is better so I run a 2x 2x 14 setup, but it is on a bent trike and not a MTB.

Luck ........... ^_^

Top Bottom