Single speed bargin

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andy Pandy

While the 2008 bike is a fantastic price, the new one has to be the ugliest fixed wheel bike in production. It is all wrong. Fixed wheel bikes should look sleek and twitchy speed machines, that looks like a heavy cart horse. It's awful :rolleyes:

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
palinurus said:
I don't want one, but at that price I feel as if I ought to buy one anyway.
+1
Actualy , I thought it looks more like a Fixie TT bike :rolleyes:

kyuss

Veteran
I think I'm going to have to get the credit card out tomorrow. The Bowery wouldn't be my first choice at it's RRP of £350 but at that price how can I refuse.

I think the 2009 one looks fantastic. I'm not keen on the bars but those rims are gorgeous. Modern compact frames just look so much better with deep rims. The non-machined breaking surface could be interesting though.

kyuss said:
I think the 2009 one looks fantastic. I'm not keen on the bars but those rims are gorgeous. Modern compact frames just look so much better with deep rims. The non-machined breaking surface could be interesting though.

Doesn't do it for me at all. I find modern frames with those huge rims really ugly, I'm afraid. Still, the world would be a boring place, etc. etc.:smile:

kyuss

Veteran
Rhythm Thief said:
My fixie is a classic 531C track bike, complete with a front brake for road use. £77 off ebay.:smile:

Jammy sod. :biggrin: That sounds like a proper bargain, but how any years ago did you buy that and how long did you have to wait to find something your size? The fixed gear craze has played havoc with the prices of track frames and old fixable road frames.

I've been keeping my eye out on ebay for a while now and it's frankly obscene the kind of money these old steel frames are going for. I've seen some tatty 80's and 90's frames go for more than what I'd be lucky to get for my 3 year old carbon frame. Even average stuff is upwards of £100, which doesn't leave much for wheels, chainsets etc. I just want to give fixed a shot and need a bike suitable for getting to the shops/pub and can handle being chained up round town.

Believe me if I had £300-£400 to spend I wouldn't touch that Bowery with a big shitty stick, but at that price you've got to admit it's a pretty good introduction to fixed/singlespeed.

Top Bottom