Single track roads

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
oldwheels

oldwheels

Legendary Member
So long as they don't start hooting me before I find a place to pull over otherwise they will be sat behind me for some considerable time.
Generally nobody local starts hooting until you have passed at least 2 passing places. If wearing headphones you may not be aware of anything behind anyway.
How to increase friendliness towards cyclists?

If you are wearing headphones that blank out sound so much that you can't hear the horn of a car behind you then I think you should think about your situational awareness on the road??

lane

Veteran
Generally nobody local starts hooting until you have passed at least 2 passing places. If wearing headphones you may not be aware of anything behind anyway.
How to increase friendliness towards cyclists?

It has happened to me rarely. When it does it's probably young idiots out with mates. I am aware of what's behind on a single track road. If you start hooting you won't be getting past me.

Solocle

Über Member
On a practice drive after my very first driving lesson, I came upon a large oncoming vehicle on a singletrack road. I ended up being the one to reverse up to a passing place.

I think that was the first time I had the car in reverse gear. :laugh:

OP
OP
oldwheels

oldwheels

Legendary Member
+1 And, having pulled over for the driver an acknowledgement from them doesn't go amiss either. Have had several instances where the driver just roars off into the distance, without saying 'thanks'. Then they meet something, and whilst stopped I cheerily cycle past, and then they can stay behind me. Politeness costs nothing.
Local drivers either give a friendly toot or flash of the hazards. Tourists not often.

I have ridden on a few single track road - never had someone so rude as to use their horn.
Probably partly due to the time I ride - but also that people round here seem to be more polite - maybe - not all but mostly

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Not where I live. Passing places are the same surface as the roadway. Motorists at least on the less used route I mainly frequent go into passing places for me on a trike. Some even reverse into one when they have overshot to allow me to continue.
Yebbut, motorists see a trike and fear the "idiot driver injures paralympian" headlines in the local rag (I know not all tricyclists qualify for a blue badge but I still suspect some motorists think they do).

Some passing places here are tarmac, more are gravel, motorists seldom use either if they think they can get away with bullying oncoming traffic, whether bike or car. I suspect they would still pause for most trikes.

OP
OP
oldwheels

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Yebbut, motorists see a trike and fear the "idiot driver injures paralympian" headlines in the local rag (I know not all tricyclists qualify for a blue badge but I still suspect some motorists think they do).

Some passing places here are tarmac, more are gravel, motorists seldom use either if they think they can get away with bullying oncoming traffic, whether bike or car. I suspect they would still pause for most trikes.
Actually I do have a Blue Badge but yes I do believe many motorists think that way. Local ones to me know me and are courteous anyway.
I suppose it depends on the local authority but our passing places are certainly tarred. On my recent travels by car very few try to squeeze past but a friend who travelled with me once remarked I did not take prisoners. Locals can judge speed and both arrive at a passing place at the same time so hardly even slow down. Tourists who cause most annoyance regarding passing seem to think both cars must stop and do not go into a passing place until you have actually stopped.
I could rant on for pages.

GuyBoden

Guru
Due to the enormous size of some of the new monster farm tractors, that take up the whole single track and beyond, on accassions, I've had to climb into the side bushes to avoid being squashed.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Amazes me how many car drivers will drive into a bit of single track you are already on. Rather than wait in the passing space their end. Where are they expecting you to magically go when they take up the full width of the same section?

OP
OP
oldwheels

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Amazes me how many car drivers will drive into a bit of single track you are already on. Rather than wait in the passing space their end. Where are they expecting you to magically go when they take up the full width of the same section?
Despite my general dislike of the tourist industry and the avalanche we have had this year I seldom find that happening here. I just hold my position on the road and keep going so they have to back up if necessary.
On my recent trip to the mainland east of Oban I was surprised at the courtesy of 99% of drivers on the single track roads I used.

Top Bottom