Sinkewitz fails drug test

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fuzzy29

It had to happen at some point. At least it is someone who is already out of the race and not one of the main contenders.

Keith Oates

Janner
Maybe it's wishful thinking on my part but I hope it's a false result because I really believe that T-mobile are doing everything they can to stop drug taking!!

Haitch

Flim Flormally
In response, two German TV stations, ARD and ZDF, have decided to stop all reporting on the TdF with immediate effect.

OP
OP
Tetedelacourse

Tetedelacourse

Alan H said:
In response, two German TV stations, ARD and ZDF, have decided to stop all reporting on the TdF with immediate effect.

I'm gobsmacked that they've followed through on this threat. Don't think we'll be seeing T:Mobile at the tour next year, or even in pro cycling.

chris42

Alan H said:

It's a shame they couldn't wait for the B test or even tell the rider before the press!

OP
OP
Tetedelacourse

Tetedelacourse

chris42][quote name= said:
It's a shame they couldn't wait for the B test or even tell the rider before the press!

That's the current climate though. It does seem harsh I admit, but the sponsor has (I believe) tried its damnedest to take a hard line against doping and its priority is to cover itself and disassociate itself from cheats where possible. When they suspend a rider they pretty much have to go public asap, even before the B comes back.

On that note, his reported T:E levels are 24:1. I think the allowed upper limit is 4:1 - correct me if I'm wrong and apologies if so. But if I were manager of that team I wouldn't be confident about a B-sample showing in favour of him. And let's face it - when does it ever do so?

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
This story is big. Where the German broadcaster lead, I think other may follow.

www.bbc.co.uk/dna/606/A24925610?s_fromedit=1

And I think it would be good if all TV stations and all press stopped covering it. The sport of cycling and riders have had so many warnings that perhaps a complete media blackout might actually convince them that time has really run out.

Interesting another sport with a shameful record on drug control (ie none whatsoever) has had a warning shot put across its bows today. Gary Player has said today it's obvious many golfers are using performance enhancing drugs and random testing must start as soon as possible.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/golf/6904576.stm

once again, the media believes there are only drugs in cycling. shame that they don't investigate sports that don't do any drug testing instead of picking on one that does and is trying to get rid of the problem. i don't think there'd be much sport on tv if that happened.

L

yenrod

That might not be so as for a long time T-Mobile have had a cycle team in America..a team was/is in existance and they hadly get any press over there...

Tetedelacourse][quote name= said:
I'm gobsmacked that they've followed through on this threat. Don't think we'll be seeing T:Mobile at the tour next year, or even in pro cycling.

laurence said:
once again, the media believes there are only drugs in cycling. shame that they don't investigate sports that don't do any drug testing instead of picking on one that does and is trying to get rid of the problem. i don't think there'd be much sport on tv if that happened.
Hmmmm, I can't help but feel that what you're saying Laurence (and it's by no means the first time I've heard it said, so it's not personal) is the rather skewed 'the world hates us 'cos we is cyclists' take on events. Other sports do get the hammer for drugs, athletics being the most obvious. Football gets the hammer for other reasons, notably financial irregularities relating to managers and agents. Horse racing gets hammered for race fixing, cricket for match fixing and so on. Every major sport has a monkey on its back, cycling's monkey is doping and it's been prevalent, perhaps even dominant, since the very beginning. It is absolutely inextricable from the sport. I read Blazing Saddles by Matt Rendell today. A cheery and slightly eccentric gallop through the Tour's history, a celebration of what makes the Tour special. Certainly not a high profile 'dope in cycling' expose. I was amazed by the number of winners who cheerily admitted to using dope, in one form or another, during their careers. Jacque Anquetil's admission that he used drugs 'whenever necessary', which was 'nearly always' springs to mind. This is a man lionised by cycling fans. Maitre Jacque, winner of 5 Tours. The smoothest, most elegant man to ever put foot to pedal. And Riis, Landis, Zabel, the fools caught in the Puerto net and so on. What right do we have to wonder why people raise their eyebrows when pro-cycling is mentioned? None. None whatsoever.

no... what i mean is that cycling does have drugs... but it admits it, yet is dammed for it.

take golf... the organisers of the open say they don't believe golfers take drugs, so why test? great... maybe cycling should say that too.

it seems the sports with the biggest amount of drug takers are the ones that test (athletics, cross country skiing).

you can't crucify a sport for its drugs when others do no testing. if football has that much money floating about to be picked up as irregular then you can only wonder where the rest of it goes. maybe it's on testing the players on the one day the a-team don't have to turn up for training.

some sports will never be touched by the drugs issues, because it would be biting the hand that feeds it for the media.

L

laurence said:
no... what i mean is that cycling does have drugs... but it admits it, yet is dammed for it.
But cycling has been intertwined with drugs since forever and has never, ever managed to deal with it. You simply can't talk about pro-cycling and not talk about drugs. Cycling doesn't have any choice about admitting it, it's not to the sports credit that it does so. You may as well congratulate Keef Richards for his honesty in admitting that he took a few drugs in the '70s.

it seems the sports with the biggest amount of drug takers are the ones that test (athletics, cross country skiing).
Perhaps the need to test goes hand in hand with the level of drug use prevalent in the sport and the degree of benefit from taking drugs.

some sports will never be touched by the drugs issues, because it would be biting the hand that feeds it for the media.
Which sports would those be? Pro-cycling is a huge, multi-million pound industry. It might not be as big as, say, football but I don't see how your point applies to it.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
:biggrin:

Drugs in golf???? That's just got to be to keep them awake... right? It being one of the dullest sports and all (IMHO).

Hit a ball. Walk after it. Hit it again. What's the point of it?

There's no way you could ever reduce cycling to such repetitive simplicty though... I mean, the simplest you could possibly get it down to is... errrr....

Turn pedals.

Oh, my mistake. :biggrin:

Top Bottom