Sir Chris

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yello

Dave5N said:
Sireau clearly flicks his elbow out.

I certainly thought so but judging by the lack of comment (here and officially) I thought that that sort of thing was acceptable in keirin. Given the other French rider, Baugé, was also indulging in a bit of 'leaning', one wonders it if was team orders!

Skip Madness

I thought it was fairly innocuous. Sireau felt Hoy coming on to him and flicked his elbow instinctively. It was unfortunate but it happens in he keirin. Definitely not foul play.

OP
OP
Dave5N

Dave5N

Über Member
No, it's an old trick. flick an elbow sharply into the other rider's arm and the other rider's bars turn slightly - enough to bring him down at that speed.

Go watch some cycle speedway and see how it's done.

yello

Dave5N said:
enough to bring him down at that speed.

I accept it's all part of the rough and tumble but equally there must be a line somewhere. Deliberately causing injury shouldn't really be acceptable.

Skip Madness

yello said:
I accept it's all part of the rough and tumble but equally there must be a line somewhere. Deliberately causing injury shouldn't really be acceptable.
He did not deliberately cause an injury. He felt the world's greatest sprinter starting to lean on to his arm and he thought, "Get off me," and overcompensated. It was unfortunate, but the sprint events are nervous and high-octane. For what it is worth, I think the case for disqualifying Sireau would not have been controversial, but that does not mean he was out to hurt Hoy.

yello

Skip Madness said:
He did not deliberately cause an injury.

I didn't say he did SM. In fact, the contrary.

The fact that nobody is claiming foul play tells me those that know are happy with what happened. I know nothing so accept that wisdom.

Skip Madness

yello said:
I didn't say he did SM. In fact, the contrary.
Ah yes, I see that now. Sorry for the confusion.
The fact that nobody is claiming foul play tells me those that know are happy with what happened. I know nothing so accept that wisdom.
Maybe. But even if you are not as familiar with it as other people, that need not prevent you from offering an opinion. Sometimes the most useful observations come from people who are outsiders to something because they see it from a different angle. (Yes, sometimes ignorance just means your opinion might be ill-informed bollocks as well, but on an issue like this I do not think there are any automatic deference rights.)

yello

Skip Madness said:
Yes, sometimes ignorance just means your opinion might be ill-informed bollocks as well

In my case, it would always be ill-informed bollocks! :blush:

You're right though, a new perspective can be useful.

Top Bottom