Sir Clive Sinclair - RIP

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chromatic

Legendary Member
Sad news.
My Sinclair Cambridge Scientific calculator has outlasted him.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I do think it is rather disrespectful of the Guardian and others to mock someone who was a real genius by relentlessly focusing on the unfortunate C5. Perhaps if we weren't so intent on knocking the successful, we would have a better economy and society.
It is a shame that he appears to be only remembered for the C5. He was a visionary in electronics which may of taken years to perfect but his ideas were sound.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I have fond memories of my first computer, a ZX81 and then the Spectrum that followed it.

Sinclair does get a lot of unfair stick over the C5 but he was thinking in the right direction and with the technology available today such a design would be very viable as a commuter vehicle.

A typical British eccentric in many ways, but like many of that type he was a genius in his field and whatever you may read about PCs, Macs and BBC computers, it was Sinclair's affordable and innovative early models which were largely responsible for starting the computer boom in this country,

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Plus ZX80 before it

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
His ZX81 and then the Spectrum 48k were, for their time, brilliant creations. I spent many an hour on the speccy as a kid.

I had both, in fact I think they're still around here somewhere. Before my company discovered PCs, I used to use the Spectrum at work to do aircraft performance calculations.

Very apt that Sir Clive made it to 81 ...

RIP

I hated the ZX 80/81 and spectrum - but they were brilliant for their time
In fact they were way ahead of their time

Basically I was working on mainframe and mini computers all day so converting to his system at home was just not going to happen

but as far as his concepts and design and knowing what people WOULD WANT - he was brilliant

the C5 was a great idea - if we had had loads of good cycle paths at the time - and it had been advertised as a sort of ebike then who knows what would have happened
but again - he was ahead of his time and in that case maybe a bit too far ahead

WIth his death the overall IQ of the World has dropped - he made the world a better place - which is the best you can say about anyone

RIP

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Sad news. I think his main strength was as a visionary rather than a realist. I remember at school some people buying his amplifier kits. He under-specced all the capacitors by a few volts to keep the price down. After a couple of months they all packed up. His QL computer was quite appalling too.
A very bright guy though. RIP.

Edit: I forgot his pocket calculator kits from the early 1970s. Revolutionary at the time.

Last edited:

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Didn't he also invent the digital watch?

I learned machine code on the speccy. Basic was so slow you had to.

Sadly, it's all very redolent of a certain type of British failure. Good ideas, briefly successful, never really driven with business acumen or long term investment, ended up being sold off on the cheap by Alan Sugar.

RIP.

Top Bottom