Sir Clive Sinclair - RIP

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
I always respected Clive Sinclair for his pragmatism but I hated clunky, slow home computers.

IT wasn't even a thing at university when I qualified and I resisted CAD until I had to widen the external wall construction on a project to make the insulation in the cavity wider and raise each of the floor levels on a project by 300mm... every drawing had to be altered which took a week- it would have taken about 10 minutes on my current CAD.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I remember watching an England / Scotland international on a workmate's Sinclair Pocket TV in the eighties. It was a novel experience at the time, though we had to take turns to watch as you had to be face on to the screen to see the picture (B&W of course).

Crap by todays standards, but ground breaking back then.

I've had quite a few Sinclair devices in my time including the , ZX80, ZX81, Spectrum, Spectrum 128 and QL. I also had one or two calculators. I loved the early 80's computers it seemed exciting times for technology. Sad to hear of his passing he had such a massive influence on many people's lives. Sadly Sinclair's computers weren't the most reliable but generally ok. I think my Spectrum went wrong a few times and I had to send it away for repair out of warranty. Just thinking of Clive Sinclair has bought back many nostalgic memories. Shame there is nothing left really of the once great British home computer industry, most of what little is left is typically foreign owned. We seem to enter into most new industries but can't seem to go the distance but then we are only a small country and any equivalent US company is always going to be a lot larger and have more resources. The Acorn Archimedes is still my all-time favourite computer.

Top Bottom