Sit Bones.. Measurements?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Boon 51

Veteran
I have just got a new bike from the Trek shop in Malaga and when I was being measured they asked me what size saddle I used on my other bike's and I replied I use a Fizik Arione size 130 mm.
They said would a like to be measured on there sit bone machine, so for a laugh I said yes please. Well after they measured me they said I needed a medium size saddle and they suggested a 138 mm size Bontrager Paradigm RL which is what the bike comes with.
After a bit on conflab on the size difference I relented and got a 138 mm size saddle.

So when the new bike arrived off I went and did a 30 mile ride. Well after the ride I did in fact have sore sit bones which I did't have with the other saddle, so back I went to the Trek shop to ask what to do?
At the Trek shop they measured me again and said that there machine indicated I needed a medium size saddle.

So who is right, the Trek shop with there machine or my own body which tells me the 130 mm suits me better or could it be the Fizik Arione is a better saddle for me than the Bontrager Paradigm RL which the bike comes with as OE.
Any thought's..

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Stick with what you are comfortable with. A measurement and an opinion are two different things.

stick with what is comfortable for the bike you are on.

I am measured (being female) at 155mm. My road bike is on a men's 130mm saddle and really comfortable upto 100 miles which is the max I have done on it. My mountain bike is on a men's 143mm saddle and I have no issues with that upto around 60 miles... and my touring bike is a woman's' 168mm saddle and strangely also very comfortable.

The riding position takes a lot of accounting for! I tried my road bike saddle on my touring bike which is what I originally purchased it for and couldn't last 45 mins on it on the touring bike yet the road bike is it great!

Berties

Fast and careful!
my wife had her seat bones measured right on the limit of two saddle sizes,and specialized had a 30 day money back guarantee,our lbs changed the saddle to suit,when the first one never bedded in

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
stick with what is comfortable for the bike you are on.

I am measured (being female) at 155mm. My road bike is on a men's 130mm saddle and really comfortable upto 100 miles which is the max I have done on it. My mountain bike is on a men's 143mm saddle and I have no issues with that upto around 60 miles... and my touring bike is a woman's' 168mm saddle and strangely also very comfortable.

The riding position takes a lot of accounting for! I tried my road bike saddle on my touring bike which is what I originally purchased it for and couldn't last 45 mins on it on the touring bike yet the road bike is it great!

I have a crosstrail with a Arione fitted and have no problems with the saddle on that bike either. Funny innit..:smile:
Cheers

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
Just an update.. I did in fact lower the Bonty saddle to see if it had any affect and I dropped the height by 10 mm and the saddle seems better but its lower than the Fizik Arione.. Are all saddle's used at different height's then?

vickster

Legendary Member
I got mine measured by Specialized, 155cm, bought a 155cm saddle and I am sure it's fine width wise, it's just very very hard - so it could simply do with the saddle design, shape, firmness...sit bone width is just a starting point! I assume the padding and the shape of the saddle may affect the height the saddle needs to be at - a virtually unpadded saddle and one with several cms of passing will put your bum in a different position versus the pedal at the 6 o'clock position

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
I have just got a new bike from the Trek shop in Malaga and when I was being measured they asked me what size saddle I used on my other bike's and I replied I use a Fizik Arione size 130 mm.
They said would a like to be measured on there sit bone machine, so for a laugh I said yes please. Well after they measured me they said I needed a medium size saddle and they suggested a 138 mm size Bontrager Paradigm RL which is what the bike comes with.
After a bit on conflab on the size difference I relented and got a 138 mm size saddle.

Didn't that seem a bit convenient?

I'm quite conservative when it comes to saddles. I get the one I know works. Take it back and ask for an Arione to be fitted

I got mine measured by Specialized, 155cm, bought a 155cm saddle and I am sure it's fine width wise, it's just very very hard - so it could simply do with the saddle design, shape, firmness...sit bone width is just a starting point! I assume the padding and the shape of the saddle may affect the height the saddle needs to be at - a virtually unpadded saddle and one with several cms of passing will put your bum in a different position versus the pedal at the 6 o'clock position
That's a tad wide! Surely mm :biggrin:

Top Bottom