Sit Bones.. Measurements?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Yes indeed flour not flower. If I was to try again, I would say, I suggest you fill up a baking tray with flour, flower....

I notice neither of you commented on the oddity of doing that though, that makes me slightly suspicious.

And to the op, you might have sore sit bones because you are actually sitting on them as opposed to having the saddle jammed up your jacksie, there might be a certain amount of adaptation.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Yes indeed flour not flower. If I was to try again, I would say, I suggest you fill up a baking tray with flour, flower....

I notice neither of you commented on the oddity of doing that though, that makes me slightly suspicious.

And to the op, you might have sore sit bones because you are actually sitting on them as opposed to having the saddle jammed up your jacksie, there might be a certain amount of adaptation.

Wouldn't dough be better, or what about plasticine? If you used dough you could still make bread or something with it after, oven bottom muffins maybe.

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
I got mine measured by Specialized, 155cm, bought a 155cm saddle and I am sure it's fine width wise, it's just very very hard - so it could simply do with the saddle design, shape, firmness...sit bone width is just a starting point! I assume the padding and the shape of the saddle may affect the height the saddle needs to be at - a virtually unpadded saddle and one with several cms of passing will put your bum in a different position versus the pedal at the 6 o'clock position

I did try a Specialized Romin once and as you said it was just too hard in the comfort stakes..
Thats a good point about the thickness of the saddles, I've just checked and the Arione and that has more padding than the Bonty Paradigm..

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Ran into the same problem myself, when trying to get saddle comfort. I went with Bontrager on my old mountain bike, and a leather Brooks copy on the tourer. Currently have Specialized saddle on the Hardrock, but that may get the Terry Liberator eventually, when I buy it a new back wheel. Variances in design of saddle rail, design of saddle, and overall purpose have me at slightly varying saddle heights over the three bicycles.

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran

Didn't that seem a bit convenient?

I'm quite conservative when it comes to saddles. I get the one I know works. Take it back and ask for an Arione to be fitted

Well yes and no really.. The bike came with a Bonty Paradigm RL at 185g and I did ask if they had a better and lighter saddle and they said the Bonty Paradigm RL Carbon was better quality than the other and lighter at 145g.
I have the option to get the carbon saddle and it seems not so hard as the Paradigm RL so it might be better or it might not but they dont have any test saddles either.
PS I'll be glad when I move back to the UK in the near future as things are easier :smile:

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran

My Fizik Arione's are 130mm the Bonty's are 138mm which they claim is my size of saddle but the smaller saddles don't hurt... So I suppose I've answered my question up to a point.. :biggrin: :whistle:

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
Trek 2 Bikes.jpg

Don't know if this has loaded properly.. but here's my two Treks

I'm thinking I might not get the Bonty saddle, its a lot of money for it not to work for me..

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Re the OP, might it not also be a factor that your arse has adjusted to the saddle you have, but not to the one you're trying? I do remember when I started cycling after a decade's break, my bum hurt quite a bit for the first few weeks, but then it stopped hurting and hasn't been a problem since. (And I've no idea what size either my bum or my saddle are...I wouldn't know what to measure, and I just get my saddles off fleabay.)

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
Re the OP, might it not also be a factor that your arse has adjusted to the saddle you have, but not to the one you're trying? I do remember when I started cycling after a decade's break, my bum hurt quite a bit for the first few weeks, but then it stopped hurting and hasn't been a problem since. (And I've no idea what size either my bum or my saddle are...I wouldn't know what to measure, and I just get my saddles off fleabay.)

It could be the saddle that comes with the bike needs to broken in a bit for sure.. but I never thought that my bum is used to a saddle and it needs to adjust to another type, so good call. :smile:

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
Yesterday's ride out of 35km with bib shorts with blue padding which is softer than the red padding was a good result, as my bum was not to bad at all at the end of the ride. So I'm thinking these Bonty saddle need breaking in for a few hundred miles. As I'm in the UK for a long weekend this weekend I will take the saddle with me and put it on the UK bike to soften it up a bit..

Top Bottom