sit bones

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bygone era

Über Member
I have bought a dioflex gel saddle on gel padding after 2 rides my sit bone area is still painful how can you measure your sit bone width without getting it done at bike shop giant store in Lincoln doddington hall do it but only have limited saddles

vickster

Legendary Member
I have bought a dioflex gel saddle on gel padding after 2 rides my sit bone area is still painful how can you measure your sit bone width without getting it done at bike shop giant store in Lincoln doddington hall do it but only have limited saddles
Sit on a bit of foil places on a step. Do so in your underwear or cycling shorts. Google should bring up a hit to show you how and to interpret the data into the correct saddle width.

View: https://youtu.be/E7j9LUVJrjA

Or go to the shop and ask them to do it. I’m sure they won’t mind if they don’t have the right saddle for you (go when shop quiet)

Last edited:

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Put a bum-sized piece of cardboard (corrugated) on the closed toilet seat. Remove all undergarments. Sit down, trying to hold the angle you would sit on a bike. Lift your legs which puts all the weight on your sit bones. They will make two, elliptical, broom handle sized indentations. Shade with a soft pencil or crayon. Measure from middle to middle. Ta da.

OldShep

Über Member
Bear in mind it might not be your sit bone width that matters. I ride SMP and sit on my ischiopubic ramus.
7E888A16-5400-4235-BEFA-0E1D4AB3162C.jpeg

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
You can get them to measure your sit bones but you dont have to buy a saddle from them.

If your gel saddle is soft. You could well do with a firm saddle. I cant stand gel saddles.

I was with you until about a month ago. I went through the motions trying out several Selle SMP saddles. I turned down any suggestion to try gell siting previous difficulties. Guess which one turned out most suitable?

A Selle SMP Well Gel. This old dog got owned!

Last edited:

OldShep

Über Member
Yes I’d have echoed you up until last year A BrooksPro man for all my Audax days. After a lay off we no longer got on. Spent 5 yrs in the wilderness trying this and that and with a LEJOG coming up it became urgent. Settled on a SMP Hybrid GEL love it:smooch:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Unfortunately, less is more with bike seats. The more padded, the more uncomfortable.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I don't buy this story about measuring sit bones. It's just another bit of marketing twaddle dreamed up by people who want to add value to what should be a simple and affordable sport. Saddles that do come in different widths only differ by a few millimetres whereas people vary much more in size.

The best saddle is the one that suits your shape without resorting to padding. Generally, most people seem to get on best with scooped saddles, which cup the sit bones. Charge Spoon and Knife are good examples. The other problem is that of habit - most saddles will feel painful to a novice but as you build the miles saddle pain generally diminishes until the day you finish a ride and realise the saddle has become comfortable.

Top Bottom