Six-Mile Road Rage Row Ends with Cyclist Killed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sheddy

Legendary Member

midlife

Guru
"The judge banned both drivers from driving to cover their prison sentences and the period of any early release."

From the Sky news article, I assume the ban starts before they are released?

icowden

Veteran
The driver was handed a 13 month prison sentence. Is this what a persons life is worth now? He’ll be out in six months, an absolute disgrace.
Just hope those two get a proper sentence.
Unfortunately that is the law. How long should he spend in prison?

The starting point for the offence is 36 weeks custody and the maxiumum sentence is 2 years custody.. There are aggravating factors but clearly the Judge did not consider the driving to be falling not far short of dangerous driving - so the middle point. He had no license so the starting point will be much higher than 36 weeks, but within the range for the offence. If he pled guilty from the off then he gets a 25% reduction in his sentence. So if he has 13 months, I suspect the original sentence was 18 months - without access to the Judge's sentencing remarks we don't have any more information about this.

And he wont be "out in six months". He will be eligible for release under license after serving a portion of his sentence. That means that he will have to adhere to conditions of the license including regular check in with his Parole office and any other restrictions such as curfews. He may also be tagged.

This man is not a danger to the public. If he pled guilty and showed remorse this may have been a factor in the sentencing. As such it is better to rehabilitate him rather than spend taxpayers money on keeping him in a prison for longer than is needed. He still goes to prison. It will still feel like a long time.

Personally (as I have stated before) I'd really like to see an element of restitution added to sentencing. The deceased cannot be brought back, but the driver can be rehabilitated and could atone for his crime in a meaningful way.

Perhaps you feel that he should be strung up instead?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
And he wont be "out in six months". He will be eligible for release under license after serving a portion of his sentence.

Perhaps you feel that he should be strung up instead?
That means he will be out in six months.

That's not a bad suggestion of yours.

icowden

Veteran
Ours doesn't work, and neither does America's. Any other suggestions?
Why do you say ours doesn't work? Our Justice system is very highly regarded. If the Government funded it properly it would be excellent. In the meantime people will have difficulty accessing it.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Why do you say ours doesn't work?

I fear that this may be taking the thread towards the dreaded NACA territory, and a possible locking.
Suffice to say I worked in the stinking mess that is our "justice" system for 19 years (20 years ago, and it has only got worse in the meantime). Much re-offending, no deterrent, far too weighted in favour of the accused and not the victim, and a laughing stock. It may have been well regarded a long time ago, just like our education system and NHS. Look at them now. :rolleyes:

Badger_Boom

Über Member
…This man is not a danger to the public. If he pled guilty and showed remorse this may have been a factor in the sentencing. As such it is better to rehabilitate him rather than spend taxpayers money on keeping him in a prison for longer than is needed. He still goes to prison. It will still feel like a long time...
Anyone who under any circumstances gets so uncontrollably angry that they’ll use whatever is at their disposal, in this case a car, to kill another human is a danger to the public.

Top Bottom