Size & Comfort ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Steve-W

I am about to buy my first road bike for 30 years, I am riding a mountain bike at the moment and dont want to be too crippled up with too much of an ass up head down situation.
I will be riding the road bike for pleasure and fitness. I am 5'10" with 32 inside leg. I am guessing a 54cm or 56cm size would be suitable.
I have been reading about the Triban 3 (new) or maybe looking towards a used bike around the same price ( £300-400).
I'd welcome any suggestions and advice.

Thanks in advance :smile:
Cheers
Steve

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
If you haven't been on a road bike for a very long time, I would suggest you go and try some out before ordering. Headtube length is key, if you don't wish to be in such an aggressive position. I wouldn't trust online sizing guides on the retailers websites either. They will probably advise you towards a 54ish, as you have indicated. Best advice I can give is to try before you buy. Even if you test ride in a shop, for size and order online, elsewhere...

FWIW, I'm an inch shorter than you, with a shorter inside leg and have had road bikes ranging from 52 compact to a 58... they really are all different.

edit: obviously you test ride out on the road... test riding in the shop would be foolish and possibly dangerous and expensive.

OP
OP
Steve-W

Steve-W

Many thanks, yes I'd like to be able to try a particular model if I could find one locally, but there are no Decathlon (Triban) outlets in Devon & Cornwall, so its possible I'll end up buying online or second hand from ebay,but I realise it becomes pot luck then. Hopefully I may find something in the local area that takes my eye !
Cheers
Steve

Shame that there isn't a Decathlon store near you. I just bought a Triban 3 and am really impressed. The staff measured me up and let me ride their suggested size around for a while to see if it was a good fit. Our nearest store was a good hour and a half drive away but was worth it :smile:

phillc

Veteran
Hi live in Somerset so like you l have no Decathlon store near me, and have just come back to riding a road bike. I'm 5ft 9in with a 31in inside leg and went for the 54cm bike. I have had to set the saddle to the lowest mark on the seat post. to get a slight bend in my knee, with the ball of my foot on the pedal and the pedal at its lowest point.. l went for the 54 because this is the size of my hybrid. What l found odd with the Triban3 was that when l measured from the centre of the bottom bracket to the top of the seat post it was 50cm and the paperwork said it was a 54. But the bike seems to fit me great. Perhaps a experenced member of this forum could exlpain this.. All that said l'm finding this bike a joy to ride.

happy cycling
phill

defy-one

I was in the same mindset,looking for a decent spec bike on the 2nd hand market. After looking for a few weeks and seeing bikes from Giant,Trek,Felt,CAAD & Spesh going for the £400 plus ,i decided to visit DeCathlon ..... £300 for a brand new bike,with the same sora groupset and a 2 year warranty???? no brainer!
she rides just as well as my 2012 Giant Defy 1 costing 3 times more,but the gears and drivetrain aren't as sweet as 105.
As a budget/starter or commuter bike - top notch value for money.

OP
OP
Steve-W

Steve-W

Many thanks...yes it does sound like a great bike for the money with many people singing it's praises, glad your enjoying it !

Top Bottom