Size & Comfort ?

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Steve-W, 5 Aug 2012.

1. Steve-W

Steve-W Well-Known Member

I am about to buy my first road bike for 30 years, I am riding a mountain bike at the moment and dont want to be too crippled up with too much of an ass up head down situation.
    I will be riding the road bike for pleasure and fitness. I am 5'10" with 32 inside leg. I am guessing a 54cm or 56cm size would be suitable.
    I have been reading about the Triban 3 (new) or maybe looking towards a used bike around the same price ( £300-400).
    I'd welcome any suggestions and advice.

Thanks in advance :smile:
    Cheers
    Steve

2. Sittingduck

Sittingduck Guru

If you haven't been on a road bike for a very long time, I would suggest you go and try some out before ordering. Headtube length is key, if you don't wish to be in such an aggressive position. I wouldn't trust online sizing guides on the retailers websites either. They will probably advise you towards a 54ish, as you have indicated. Best advice I can give is to try before you buy. Even if you test ride in a shop, for size and order online, elsewhere...

FWIW, I'm an inch shorter than you, with a shorter inside leg and have had road bikes ranging from 52 compact to a 58... they really are all different.

edit: obviously you test ride out on the road... test riding in the shop would be foolish and possibly dangerous and expensive.

3. OP
    OP
    Steve-W

Many thanks, yes I'd like to be able to try a particular model if I could find one locally, but there are no Decathlon (Triban) outlets in Devon & Cornwall, so its possible I'll end up buying online or second hand from ebay,but I realise it becomes pot luck then. Hopefully I may find something in the local area that takes my eye !
    Cheers
    Steve

4. Easytigers

Easytigers Veteran

Shame that there isn't a Decathlon store near you. I just bought a Triban 3 and am really impressed. The staff measured me up and let me ride their suggested size around for a while to see if it was a good fit. Our nearest store was a good hour and a half drive away but was worth it :smile:

5. phillc

phillc Well-Known Member

Hi live in Somerset so like you l have no Decathlon store near me, and have just come back to riding a road bike. I'm 5ft 9in with a 31in inside leg and went for the 54cm bike. I have had to set the saddle to the lowest mark on the seat post. to get a slight bend in my knee, with the ball of my foot on the pedal and the pedal at its lowest point.. l went for the 54 because this is the size of my hybrid. What l found odd with the Triban3 was that when l measured from the centre of the bottom bracket to the top of the seat post it was 50cm and the paperwork said it was a 54. But the bike seems to fit me great. Perhaps a experenced member of this forum could exlpain this.. All that said l'm finding this bike a joy to ride.

happy cycling
    phill

6. WorcesteRob

WorcesteRob Well-Known Member

I'm 5 foot 8 and 30" inside leg and my 54cm CAAD fits perfectly!

7. OP
    OP
    Steve-W

Thanks for the input guys !!! :smile:
    Cheers
    Steve

8. defy-one

defy-one Guest

I was in the same mindset,looking for a decent spec bike on the 2nd hand market. After looking for a few weeks and seeing bikes from Giant,Trek,Felt,CAAD & Spesh going for the £400 plus ,i decided to visit DeCathlon ..... £300 for a brand new bike,with the same sora groupset and a 2 year warranty???? no brainer!
    she rides just as well as my 2012 Giant Defy 1 costing 3 times more,but the gears and drivetrain aren't as sweet as 105.
    As a budget/starter or commuter bike - top notch value for money.

9. OP
    OP
    Steve-W

Many thanks...yes it does sound like a great bike for the money with many people singing it's praises, glad your enjoying it !

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice