Size

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I'm 5'5". I would go for the 44cm, but have quite short legs -780mm floor to crutch.

A 31" leg is not actually short for your height, but a 17" frame is a child size in my book! I had a 19 1/2" Raleigh when I was ten and probably just under your height. You would probably fit an old-school 19 1/2" frame, which would likely have a TT length of about 20 1/2"

OP
OP
G

Glasgow44

Veteran
Thanks everyone for your replies. The bike shop did say that this particular bike does have a higher bottom bracket from floor level.

OP
OP
G

Glasgow44

Veteran
A 31" leg is not actually short for your height, but a 17" frame is a child size in my book! I had a 19 1/2" Raleigh when I was ten and probably just under your height. You would probably fit an old-school 19 1/2" frame, which would likely have a TT length of about 20 1/2"

I have a 29" inside leg

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
I would if it were a horizontal top tube, but this frame has quite a steeply sloping top tube. I would hazard a guess that the point where the virtual horizontal top tube meets the virtual seat tube would be around 50cm (I have frames with similar geometry - a 44cm Ribble 7005 SL for example).

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Also, geometry changes over so many spectrums when you are discussing bike size, one size certainly doesn't fit all when it comes to manufacturers differences.
True.
I cannot find a Merida to fit me, for the same reason as the OP, that slanted top tube and my wee legs don't match in the bike's available sizes.
My Tour de Fer fits OK, but there's a remarked toe overlap, plus the mudguard stays sometimes jab my legs.
My Pinnacle fits perfectly.
All my bikes are XS.
I feel that bikes with smaller wheels fit me the best.

youngoldbloke

Same as me
Again, 29" - is that crutch to floor or trouser length? If crutch to floor what trouser length do you wear? 25"? I have problems finding 27" inside leg trousers with my 31" crutch to floor measure. We need to define what we are talking about. Looking again at the geometry drawing it appears that the ST is measured bottom bracket centre to the top of the seat tube, I always use centre to centre, as you can't tell how much seat tube is above the top tube. How far along the top tube is the standover height measured? The only thing to do is try a 44cm, and I bet the shop doesn't have one in stock. In the past. before I knew any better. I was persuaded to buy a bike too big for me, by a shop that was all too happy to close a deal.
Edit: - just noticed Merida recommend the 44cm for under 167cm tall. 5'5" = 165cm

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

Glasgow44

Veteran
Again, 29" - is that crutch to floor or trouser length? If crutch to floor what trouser length do you wear? 25"? I have problems finding 27" inside leg trousers with my 31" crutch to floor measure. We need to define what we are talking about. Looking again at the geometry drawing it appears that the ST is measured bottom bracket centre to the top of the seat tube, I always use centre to centre, as you have can't tell how much seat tube is above the top tube. How far along the top tube is the standover height measured? The only thing to do is try a 44cm, and I bet the shop doesn't have one in stock. In the past. before I knew any better. I was persuaded to buy to buy a bike too big for me, by a shop that was all too happy to close a deal.
Edit: - just noticed Merida recommend the 44cm for under 167cm tall. 5'5" = 165cm

Trouser length

vickster

Legendary Member
Maybe it’s not a suitable option for you? There are plenty of similar bikes which might have a more appropriate geometry / frameshape for your stature

youngoldbloke

Trouser length
In discussions regarding frame size. saddle height, crank length etc 'inside leg' refers to the crotch (edit) to floor (in stocking feet) measurement. See 'Le Mond method', for example. There are lots of online guides how to measure yourself, or get a friend to help.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
That's what I'm thinking too
You’ve said before you want to tour on this bike. Given your need for a small frame size, make sure it’s the right shape to be able to accommodate any luggage you may want. A horizontal TT might be better if you want frame bags, bottle cages etc. I doubt that would be a useful shape in this regard
Don’t just go for a bike that the LBS suggests as they have it in the shop

Top Bottom