skater style helmets

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
If you want to get very very hot, enjoy.

Jezston

Über Member
<- You mean one of these?

I've had to stop wearing mine now for reasons of what he said. I consider it my 'winter helmet'.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
+2

Though you can get some with small vents, this will be insufficient for your lenghty commute.

As Jezza says, get one for winter

OP
OP
Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
just bought a bern. really comfy and has cooling technology. will try it out tomorrow. my cam is now glued to the front. looks good too

OP
OP
Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
i tried my bern helmet today, it was quite a nice sunny day here, and i have to say that the 'cool flow' design works well and was no hotter than my met vented helmet. the added bonus is that my 'gopro' helmet cam is nicely glued on in just the right place. overall good first couple hours ride. i like the summer peak and the padding soaks up the sweat nicely.

it is quite a bit heavier than my 'met' but is better balanced and way comfier, looks good too.

There is a campaign in the US for exactly these helmets. - Rounder, Smoother Safer!

The evidence before the CPSC (US Helmet standards) by Professor Hurt et al suggests that some modern designs can cause the helmet to come off when the snag points catch the ground. There is also a suggestion that the more modern pointed helmets can cause rotational injury.

Provided the helmet meets EN1078 it can be sold in the UK as a cycle helmet, but I would personally recommend at least CPSC and preferably Snell B90 or B95 accreditation.

OP
OP
Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
berns are cpsc according to the sticker inside and en1078.

the reason i went skater style was for the reasons you mentioned. it just feels safer and sturdier, tho that is just my opinion. i have read all there is about cycle helmets that i can find on the net.

i am of the same opinion, based on research papers, that a smoother rounder helmet is less likely to cause rotational injury, to snag and come off, less chance of road debris getting thru as well. i also agree that the straps should terminate inside the helmet.

i hate helmets, i really do. but i'm a father and a husband so responsibly i have chosen to wear one all the time now.

at least this one is stylish and seems comfy enough. i like the idea of the winter kits as well.

chap

Veteran
I might get myself one of those, I've been cycling sans helmet for a bit now, but still use the Giro helmet sometimes for longer trips or in new towns like Basingstoke.

Top Bottom