Skewer length

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BusDriver

I've finally got round to getting some new wheels. These came with free QR skewers. However when i fitted the rear i found that i could only get a few threads into the alloy nut thingy. When i closed the handle the threads got stripped off the alloy nut. The skewers are rubbish, and as far as i can tell the rear one isn't long enough. Can you get different lengths?

It would have been long enough if it wasn't for the bracket that holds the derailleur on.

Simon

02GF74

Über Member
i bet you can - they usually come with the hubs but i don't know skewer lengths.

i know that rear hub sjewer is longer than the front and *think* mountain bike skewers are longer than road bike.

Landslide

Rare Migrant
BusDriver said:
It would have been long enough if it wasn't for the bracket that holds the derailleur on.

I think you may have hit the nail on the head there.
Probably best off popping down to your LBS and asking them - that way you'll be sure of it fitting before you part with any money.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You can get longer lengths - depends upon who has made them, and MTB ones are longer.

Best bet is take the bike down to the bike shop - as you say it's the mech hanger that causes the issue - many wheels that are QR won't take into account that some folk have the hanger bracket as well. I've even had QR skewers that needed cutting down in the past !

OP
OP
B

BusDriver

Got the skewers sorted out. I took them to an LBS and they sorted out some security ones with allen key fittings. Set of three aircraft grade alloy for a tenner.

Top Bottom