Skiiing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Is it too early to start talking skiing (and am I allowed to do so on a bike thread?) But I was at a work conference today when they kept playing the punked up version of 'wonderful world' from the car ad, and it struck me as the PERFECT skiing song, so I haven't been able to stop thinking about skiing all day! (Apart from focusing on work, of course).

Me...I'm a bit of a crap skier, but I LOVE IT. I ski like a granny, but with the biggest grin on my face. And although we've not started booking etc, we'll be off to the beautiful Three Valleys (Courcheval this year if I get my way) in January.

Does anyone else ski? Is anyone else going?

stevenb

I had a great time in Schladming earlier this Jan on a company conference...although I did snowboarding...and had to stop as I fell hard and twisted my knee....ouch.
Great fun skiing....and the littlun's belting down the hill was a sight and a half...:biggrin:

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Never skied I'm afraid. But I was in Austria about 2 weeks ago and it was snowing at 1000 meters. So it could be a good season in the Alps this year.

Oh and I was told that last year the hospital in Kitzbuhl used 10 tons of plaster last winter. So I'm reluctant to risk my brittles bones and have a go. Maybe X-country would be safer?

Cathryn said:
Is it too early to start talking skiing (and am I allowed to do so on a bike thread?) But I was at a work conference today when they kept playing the punked up version of 'wonderful world' from the car ad, and it struck me as the PERFECT skiing song, so I haven't been able to stop thinking about skiing all day! (Apart from focusing on work, of course).

Me...I'm a bit of a crap skier, but I LOVE IT. I ski like a granny, but with the biggest grin on my face. And although we've not started booking etc, we'll be off to the beautiful Three Valleys (Courcheval this year if I get my way) in January.

Does anyone else ski? Is anyone else going?

Total fanatic. Skied three seasons in the Three Valleys. On no account miss Jerusalem, probably the best run in the world. It's on a big dog leg off St. Martin de Belleville and is easily missed. Otherwise the runs from Meribel to Courcheval are fantastic, easy, blast it skiing. There are two tremendous runs off the glacier at Val Thorens. There's no better ski area in the world. Just don't sit down at Cap Horn (just above the altiport) and shout "there're on me."

Noodley

Patrick Stevens said:
But, if you got the hang of it...............:biggrin:

I'm quite happy for Mrs Noodley and the Noodlettes to bugger off on splints of wood whilst I bugger off on an audax.

Actually, any cyclist ought to be able to ski pretty easily. At a basic level (obviously, I'm far above this :biggrin:) you can ski a very tidy parallel just by leaning to the inside of the turn and pushing down on one ski at a time, just like pedalling, but at a much slower cadence. The balancing is a doddle - with two feet you've got a track that's a foot wide, which is a damn sight wider than even an MTB tyre.

Danny

Legendary Member
Cathryn, you seem to get a lot of good holidays (says he jealously).

However I have to confess that I love skiing and have actually been thinking about it for the last three weeks as I am hoping to be able to stay at a friend's house in Switzerland in Feb.

If that falls through, I'd be interested to know how crowded does the three valleys get? I try to avoid big resorts as we have to go during school holidays and I hate crowded slopes and long lift queues.

Noodley

Patrick Stevens said:
Actually, any cyclist ought to be able to ski pretty easily. At a basic level (obviously, I'm far above this :biggrin:) you can ski a very tidy parallel just by leaning to the inside of the turn and pushing down on one ski at a time, just like pedalling, but at a much slower cadence. The balancing is a doddle - with two feet you've got a track that's a foot wide, which is a damn sight wider than even an MTB tyre.

I have tried skiing a few times and it has always amazed me just how crap I am. Just useless. I am was ok at a number of sports which involve the same principles but skiing - nope. I just cannae get the balance for some reason.

Abitrary

In my office, people only go skiing in order to break something so they can work at home for 3 years afterwards.

Even the weak ones

Top Bottom