Skin Cancer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fonze

Totally obsessive , cool by nature
Today had minor op to remove Basal skin cancer, I noticed a small lump on my cheek about 6 months ago which in turn became a spot that would never heel.
After consultation was given a check up at hospital and told it needs operating on.
Local anaesthetic and removed with a few stitches.
Back on the bike tomorrow, I'm terrible in the sun where protection is concerned and I work in hot climates.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
My granddad had the same thing and the same treatment. They got it all in one go and he went on to live a good few years after that and it was something else that got him in the end.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
@Fonze Good news for you that they caught it before it developed into anything worse, and a lesson we can all learn from. I'm terrible for remembering to put sunscreen on when I'm out for long rides. Even if it's not a sunny day, doing an all-day audax leaves you exposed to UV rays for long periods.

I was out over the bank holiday weekend when it was blazing hot sunshine all day and did remember to apply some that time, but there was a noticeable red patch on the back of one calf the next day where I'd obviously missed a bit. Doh! Shows what a difference it can make though - all my other exposed areas were fine.

vickster

Legendary Member
Today had minor op to remove Basal skin cancer, I noticed a small lump on my cheek about 6 months ago which in turn became a spot that would never heel.
After consultation was given a check up at hospital and told it needs operating on.
Local anaesthetic and removed with a few stitches.
Back on the bike tomorrow, I'm terrible in the sun where protection is concerned and I work in hot climates.
Good luck, believe BCC are the least nasty of the skin cancers, very localised and don’t need treatment after surgery

You’ll need to get less terrible using sun cream from now on ;)

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Yes - a harsh lesson, but at least the problem was caught in time.

I have big problems with sunburn unless I am very careful but have still got caught out a couple of times and badly burned. (Badly enough to cause multiple huge weeping blisters, big areas of skin peeling off, and permanent freckling afterwards ...) I had a scare recently but fortunately got the all-clear from a dermatologist.

I inherited my fair-skinned, red-headed Scottish mum's delicate skin. She couldn't spend much time in the sun without burning unless she used strong sunscreen. My dad was the opposite - he tanned really quickly and never burned, but even he eventually developed what looked like potentially cancerous moles in his 80s. I think they could have turned nasty if he hadn't died of unrelated issues soon afterwards.

Top Bottom