Skip Lorries - They really are wider than cars!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NigC

Well that's what I believe - I'm not so sure about the skip lorry drivers though!

I've been commuting by bike for 18 months and of all the times where a motorist has been a little too close for comfort, I'd say 75% of them have been driving a skip lorry.

Is it just me and the route I take or do you also find this where you cycle?

Molecule Man

There are only two types of vehicle that I am positively scared of - skip lorries and tipper trucks. On certain routes I am always on the alert for them (at least you can hear them coming), and prepared to yield road space to them just to let them get away from me.
Is it something to do with the way their drivers are employed, are they paid per journey, does that give them the temptation to be more reckless?

Klaus

Molecule Man said:
There are only two types of vehicle that I am positively scared of - skip lorries and tipper trucks. On certain routes I am always on the alert for them (at least you can hear them coming), and prepared to yield road space to them just to let them get away from me.
Is it something to do with the way their drivers are employed, are they paid per journey, does that give them the temptation to be more reckless?

I think a lot of those are owner-drivers and naturally the more stuff they shift = more journeys = more money they make (any skip/tipper lorry drivers amongst us pls comment?). Servicing the capital outlay plus earning a living is tough these days, in most jobs of course, but if you rely on building and construction activity it's even tougher. ok doesn't excuse bad driving of course.

redjedi

Über Member
I cycle up Scrubs Lane, NW London, every morning and there is a recycling depot on it so get loads of skip and tipper trucks coming past.
Added to the fact it's up hill so I go slowly up it makes for lots of close overtakes.

I hate the sound of of the chains banging against the side of the skips, I keep thinking that one day one of them is going to whack me around the head.

Top Bottom