Skippy chain?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Feastie

Über Member
I've got a bit of a problem with the chain on my bike which is that it 'skips' - especially when I put a lot of power through the pedals, as you do when just setting off from traffic lights to pick up speed or whatever. It's really inconvenient because it throws me and sometimes my feet come off the pedals. Not ideal to lose your seat on the bike when you're cycling in traffic!!

I took my bike in a month or two ago for its yearly maintenance check at the bike shop (because I basically know how to pump up the wheels and stick the chain back on but that's it!) and mentioned the problem for them to look at when they adjusted it, but they don't seem to have fixed it.

Does anybody know what the problem might be and how to fix it? I'm open to trying to fix it myself if that's possible.

HovR

Über Member
Sounds like either you have a worn out cassette, causing the chain to jump on the teeth of the cassette but not change gear, or your indexing is off meaning that your bike can change gear automatically, which when you're putting power through the pedals can cause a skipping sensation.

Alternatively, you may have a stiff link in your chain.

How long have you had the bike, and how many miles have you done on it in that time. Have you ever changed the cassette/freewheel. Does the drivechain make loud ticking/clicking sounds when pedaling or is slow/clunky whilst changing gear?

OP
OP
Feastie

Feastie

Über Member
I don't know if it can be a problem with the cassette because I never change gear on this bike (it's got those down tube gear levers which are a pain to use and luckily it's flat around here so I can get away with it)?

I've had the bike for a year and a half, but it's a second hand bike which I estimate to be at least 15-20 years old so I can't really say how many miles it's done. I wouldn't be surprised if something on it was shot, though, given its age. It never used to skip though until 4 or 5 months ago. I use it for commuting around 20 mins each way most days of the week. The chain doesn't make a noise when I pedal, but ticks very loudly when freewheeling.

How would I check to see if the indexing is off? And also for a stiff link in the chain! I don't know if it makes a difference but when I'm actually cycling the chain doesn't skip, it's only when I put a lot of force through it (don't think I made this clear enough in the first post, sorry!).

Thank-you!

Have you replaced the chain recently? If so it means you have a worn cassette which, combined with a new chain will cause skipping. Change the cassette before it prematurely wears your new chain.

I don't know if it can be a problem with the cassette because I never change gear on this bike (it's got those down tube gear levers which are a pain to use and luckily it's flat around here so I can get away with it)?

Thank-you!

That would make it more likely to wear the cassette (on that cog anyway) as you aren't sharing the work across the other cogs! Change gear when off the bike and see if the teeth on the cog you use look like shark teeth, whilst the teeth on the other cogs have a flat top - if so, it's a worn cassette and you'll need to replace it - or use a different cog and never change from that one for a while!!!

OP
OP
Feastie

Feastie

Über Member
Thanks guys! I'll go and have a look at the cassette and see whether I have indeed inadvertently trashed it. Never occurred to me I might be wearing one of them out by sticking in the same gear although it seems very obvious now you say it!

Are they expensive to replace?

HovR

Über Member
Thanks guys! I'll go and have a look at the cassette and see whether I have indeed inadvertently trashed it. Never occurred to me I might be wearing one of them out by sticking in the same gear although it seems very obvious now you say it!

Are they expensive to replace?

No, they're not expensive. A new freewheel (probably not a cassette on a bike of that age, but the screw on freewheel type) can be had for around £10 on eBay.

Does your bike have indexed gears? (i.e. do they "Click" in to place when you change them) or are they the friction shifter type? If they're the friction shifter type, then indexing won't be the issue.

Looking for stiff links is easy. Rotate the chain around on the bike, and look for any links that don't "Flex" at the pin/joint like they should.

SomethingLikeThat

Über Member

Even if you did change the gears and whatnot it would still wear out over time and need replacing.

Leaway2

Lycrist
No, they're not expensive. A new freewheel (probably not a cassette on a bike of that age, but the screw on freewheel type) can be had for around £10 on eBay.

Does your bike have indexed gears? (i.e. do they "Click" in to place when you change them) or are they the friction shifter type? If they're the friction shifter type, then indexing won't be the issue.

Looking for stiff links is easy. Rotate the chain around on the bike, and look for any links that don't "Flex" at the pin/joint like they should.

You will also need some tools. A chainwhip or a cassette removal tool.

billy1561

BB wrecker
Just to add my 2 penny worth my new mtb was skipping about on the last but one small cog while on the big cog at the front. Took it in for its first free service and now its fine. Told me it was cable tension a bit slack.

I had major chain skip on the middle chainwheel on my 2010 Raleigh AT20 at barely 800 miles old, despite
regular clean downs and lubrication.
I think getting the bike covered in abrasive estuarine sandy soil from field riding, then doing another 30-40 miles
with chain covered in this grinding compound wore things out!
A new chain of the correct type didn't solve the skip, so i ended up replacing the complete chainwheel set/crank arms
with a nice shiny shimano jobby for £20.
(Had to use some engineering pullers to get the old ones off).

The old cranks:
20120114 079.jpg

The new shiny cranks:
20120901 Thetford 030.jpg

billy1561

BB wrecker
I had major chain skip on the middle chainwheel on my 2010 Raleigh AT20 at barely 800 miles old, despite
regular clean downs and lubrication.
I think getting the bike covered in abrasive estuarine sandy soil from field riding, then doing another 30-40 miles
with chain covered in this grinding compound wore things out!
A new chain of the correct type didn't solve the skip, so i ended up replacing the complete chainwheel set/crank arms
with a nice shiny shimano jobby for £20.
(Had to use some engineering pullers to get the old ones off).

The old cranks:
View attachment 14319

The new shiny cranks:
View attachment 14320
Do you use that bottle cage :whistle:

I've got a bit of a problem with the chain on my bike which is that it 'skips' - especially when I put a lot of power through the pedals, as you do when just setting off from traffic lights to pick up speed or whatever. It's really inconvenient because it throws me and sometimes my feet come off the pedals. Not ideal to lose your seat on the bike when you're cycling in traffic!!

I took my bike in a month or two ago for its yearly maintenance check at the bike shop (because I basically know how to pump up the wheels and stick the chain back on but that's it!) and mentioned the problem for them to look at when they adjusted it, but they don't seem to have fixed it.

Does anybody know what the problem might be and how to fix it? I'm open to trying to fix it myself if that's possible.
Its very simple. Youve worn out your chain and sprocket. Talk to your lbs about converting your multi speed setup to a single speed before you start replacing components.

Top Bottom