Skoda Yeti - and now Tiguan?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Petrol, diesel vehicles stink (especially for the poor cyclist stuck behind in traffic xx()

Indeed. Diesel is a dirty fuel and to make it meet the emissions regulations, there is a lot of wizardry that goes on under the bonnet - extra parts and computer sensors. All it takes is for one of those to fail for the car to bellow out gunk or to go into limp mode.

Running an older diesel can be hard on the wallet and often people will skimp on routine servicing as they view it as an in unnecessary expense.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
As the Yeti is no longer made, I presume you're buying used. In which case here are my thoughts.

I'd get a small engined petrol with front wheel drive.

Unless you're doing many off-road miles, a 4x4 just increases complexity and doesn't offer much in return. Bigger & more expensive tyres, taller & more complicated suspension reduces handling and is more expensive to fix when things go wrong. And on our potholed roads, they will. Example, tracking on a 4x4 usually costs more as they have to align all four wheels, rather than two.

If winter driving is a concern stick winter tyres on for 6 months. They're recommended for temperatures below 7/8 Celsius.

If you must have a Yeti, the petrol will be easier to live with for your mileage.
Alignment should always be all 4 wheels, but in all other respects we're in violent agreement :smile:

OP, FWD & All Seasons tyres (on all year, obvs) like Crossclimates and you're good.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Alignment should always be all 4 wheels, but in all other respects we're in violent agreement :smile:

OP, FWD & All Seasons tyres (on all year, obvs) like Crossclimates and you're good.

It's rare for the alignment to be out front and rear at the same time, so on 2 wheel drive cars they will often check where it's out and correct that end. Of course, they happily do all 4 if you're happy to pay, but it's not always required.

On 4x4s, because the 4 wheels are inter-dependent, they need to redo all 4 wheels even if only one side is out.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
It's rare for the alignment to be out front and rear at the same time, so on 2 wheel drive cars they will often check where it's out and correct that end. Of course, they happily do all 4 if you're happy to pay, but it's not always required.

On 4x4s, because the 4 wheels are inter-dependent, they need to redo all 4 wheels even if only one side is out.
Can you explain please?

OP
OP
Proto

Proto

Legendary Member
Thanks all, very interesting comments and much in alignment with my own thinking.

Our location dictates a 4x4 is required (long (400m) , very steep (20%+), very bumpy, prone to frost/ice). My immediate neighbour, with whom I share the drive, has an ancient ratted Defender and a 4x4 Tiguan. He says he needs 4x4 and I believe him.

Deffo don’t want a DSG gearbox, I’ve never liked auto, or semi-auto. Noisier, clunkier, thirstier, less reliable. I’ve never understood the appeal. I much prefer manual. My wife is off the same opinion.

All season tyres will be fitted as sensible opportunity arises.

And, yep, I think I’ll go for petrol. Autotrader here I come!

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
The concensous seems to be that you need to be doing 15k a year to make diesel pay now.
I switched from diesel (55mpg) to petrol last year (48mpg, so far) for that reason.

Modern diesels also do not like doing low mileages - several lease companies specifically advise against getting a diesel if you only do low mileage or have infrequent use.

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks all, very interesting comments and much in alignment with my own thinking.

Our location dictates a 4x4 is required (long (400m) , very steep (20%+), very bumpy, prone to frost/ice). My immediate neighbour, with whom I share the drive, has an ancient ratted Defender and a 4x4 Tiguan. He says he needs 4x4 and I believe him.

Deffo don’t want a DSG gearbox, I’ve never liked auto, or semi-auto. Noisier, clunkier, thirstier, less reliable. I’ve never understood the appeal. I much prefer manual. My wife is off the same opinion.

All season tyres will be fitted as sensible opportunity arises.

And, yep, I think I’ll go for petrol. Autotrader here I come!
I have automatic as unfortunately my knackered left knee won't do a clutch any more! The DSG is a fantastic gearbox, no moise, clunks, no reliability issues.
And I get 35mpg+ in a 180hp car which spends its life doing under 40mph which is no worse than the manual equivalent (it may even be slightly better from memory!)

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
I have automatic as unfortunately my knackered left knee won't do a clutch any more! The DSG is a fantastic gearbox, no moise, clunks, no reliability issues.
And I get 35mpg+ in a 180hp car which spends its life doing under 40mph which is no worse than the manual equivalent (it may even be slightly better from memory!)
It is now. It hasn't always been :okay:

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Mine's a 2012, I can't speak to earlier variants - the OP is looking at a car that likely won't be that old
There were quite well-publicised issues with the early iterations of DSG, which could leave a pause before drive came in (heart-stopping on a roundabout when trying to step off smartly), and they were also keener than they should have been on lunching their internals :sad:

vickster

Legendary Member
There were quite well-publicised issues with the early iterations of DSG, which could leave a pause before drive came in (heart-stopping on a roundabout when trying to step off smartly), and they were also keener than they should have been on lunching their internals :sad:
But the OP isn't buying an older car so the point is moot ;) Yeti only launched in 2009

Top Bottom