And now Skoda are at it.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
You will all have doubtless heard how on some models BMW charge an annual subscription in order to be able to access certain functions.

Yes, you read that right. You'll potentially buy a car with satnav, heated seats, etc, all fully fitted and physically present, but BMW won't activate them and let you actuqlly use them unless you give them more money every year.

Tesla have also been doing this in some countries.

And now Skoda have announced they're joining the club.

Imagine buying a toaster, DVD player, or kettle but not being able to operate it without paying extra money every month or year to Morphy Richards or Toshiba? Well, that's how it's going with cars. Fortunately there is a healthy aftermarket for people hacking BMW cars for a fee so owners can access and use the equipment that they already own, and I hope they quickly do the same with the Sloda products. They'll be at it with food soon - You'll be able to buy the food, but won't get the key to be able to open the packet unless you pay a monthly bribe.

For many reasons I think it unlikely I will buy a new, or indeed any, car ever again. I'm actually quite glad if that's how their customers are going to be bent over in the future.

Once a Wheeler

…always a wheeler
Ever owned an inkjet printer? Really cheap until you use it.

You will all have doubtless heard how on some models BMW charge an annual subscription in order to be able to access certain functions.

Yes, you read that right. You'll potentially buy a car with satnav, heated seats, etc, all fully fitted and physically present, but BMW won't activate them and let you actuqlly use them unless you give them more money every year.

I wonder how long it will be before E-Bikes need a subscription to unlock them? You'll be able to ride the bike, but the motor won't work until you enter the monthly code...

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Welcome to the final, desperate gasps of end-stage capitalism.

Buy old stuff that lasts, opt out and leave the debt-fuelled, brainwashed consumptive plebs to it..

Last edited:

All uphill

Still rolling along
Back as far as the 80's, some of the computer GIANTS, the likes of NCR and IBM, used to install their mainframe computers with the extra memory and processors already installed. When a customer wanted to upgrade, an engineer just came along and turned it on.

I'll go back another 10 years to a time when the cheapest Ford Cortinas came with four gears, more expensive ones with five. All of them had the five speed box but fifth was not accessible on the cheaper ones.

albion

Guru
Really cheap actually. HP inkjet printer about 40 quid to buy and 99p a month allows me to print more than I need and never buy another cartridge again. Been on this deal for years and years, it is the mutts nutts.......
99p a month more than I pay then. Am on the 15 page a month free plan. They cancelled it a year or 2 ago, relented so reinstated. At reinstatement I even got a free new set of cartridges, as yet not installed.

Tesla do/did an unlock thing where you could unlock extra battery capacity. But the beauty of buying the cheaper locked model is that the battery is far less stressed resulting in much higher longevity.

Top Bottom