And now Skoda are at it.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
So is The Gimp and it can do everything Photoshop does; car companies have captive audience and they know it.

Gimp is good, especially as a free offering, but to say it can do everything Photoshop does is simply not true.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Is this all true about access by annual payment?
I mentioned this to someone who checked on line and replied that BMW had dropped that scheme.
No idea about any of it personally but just intrigued.

It seems that BMW have backed away from it, and are bullsheeting to cover their embarrassment.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/alista...subscription-to-refocus-on-software-services/

For example, they say...

“People feel that they paid double – which was actually not true, but perception is reality, I always say. So that was the reason we stopped that.”

What rot. They were absolutely paying double. They were paying for the wiring loom, electronics, seat heater elements, switches, etc, and were then being charged a second time if they wanted to actually use the feature. I think BMW backed away because it made them look like chumps, and because its far cheaper to have the car hacked than it was to pay the subs.

And now Skoda are doing the same. The car will have all the sat nav, rain sensing wipers, various front facing collision avoidance system hardware and firmware, but they won't supply the activation key unless the buyer pays again.

Last edited:
Some people can afford things without getting into debt.

Strikes me that in the case of cars that need a monthly subscription to work properly that a fool and their money are easily parted.

I'd be surprised if most of the people who drove a new BMW could actually afford the ticket price of one. I'd even say most of the people who could afford a new BMW would think a car that didn't work properly without a subscription would be a stupid thing to spend their money on. I certainly would.

markemark

Über Member
Strikes me that in the case of cars that need a monthly subscription to work properly that a fool and their money are easily parted.

I'd be surprised if most of the people who drove a new BMW could actually afford the ticket price of one. I'd even say most of the people who could afford a new BMW would think a car that didn't work properly without a subscription would be a stupid thing to spend their money on. I certainly would.

I think you might be surprised how many people are rich enough and can comfortably afford it.

Dave7

Legendary Member
You will all have doubtless heard how on some models BMW charge an annual subscription in order to be able to access certain functions.

Yes, you read that right. You'll potentially buy a car with satnav, heated seats, etc, all fully fitted and physically present, but BMW won't activate them and let you actuqlly use them unless you give them more money every year.

Tesla have also been doing this in some countries.

And now Skoda have announced they're joining the club.

Imagine buying a toaster, DVD player, or kettle but not being able to operate it without paying extra money every month or year to Morphy Richards or Toshiba? Well, that's how it's going with cars. Fortunately there is a healthy aftermarket for people hacking BMW cars for a fee so owners can access and use the equipment that they already own, and I hope they quickly do the same with the Sloda products. They'll be at it with food soon - You'll be able to buy the food, but won't get the key to be able to open the packet unless you pay a monthly bribe.

For many reasons I think it unlikely I will buy a new, or indeed any, car ever again. I'm actually quite glad if that's how their customers are going to be bent over in the future.
I bought my 65 plate Astra (nearly) new. I couldn't activate bluetooth so took it to the main dealer for help.......I found I had to pay to use it 🙄

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
You can get devices that plug into the OBD port. Wonder if those could turn it on?
I believe devices like Carly and OBD Eleven can be used to configure your car, provided the equipment has been fitted. They can even go into settings that are not available from the infotainment screen. For example, customising how long welcome lights are switched on.

Top Bottom