And now Skoda are at it.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Welcome to the final, desperate gasps of end-stage capitalism.

Buy old stuff that lasts, opt out and leave the debt-fuelled, brainwashed consumptive plebs to it..

Darn commie.

markemark

Über Member
There plenty of commercial machinery that is downgraded by firmware for a cheaper option. This is nothing new or even uncommon.
It’s cheaper to make them all the same and you pay for the options to be enabled.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
I:ll pay a service charge for an actual service, eg broadband, netflix, etc.

Satnav traffic news and map uodates are also a service, but not worth paying when google offer them free.

Heated seats are definitely NOT a service. If i wanted auch frippery i'd only pay an upfront one-off cost. Ridiculous otherwise.

Some people can afford things without getting into debt.
It's still a good idea to spend (and save) money wisely.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Is this all true about access by annual payment?
I mentioned this to someone who checked on line and replied that BMW had dropped that scheme.
No idea about any of it personally but just intrigued.

markemark

Über Member
Is this all true about access by annual payment?
I mentioned this to someone who checked on line and replied that BMW had dropped that scheme.
No idea about any of it personally but just intrigued.

I think it’s more that it’s cheaper, easier and quicker for cars to have things already built in to all cars, eg heated seats, but for them to be activated when you buy the car and pay for it as an option.

Also means the end user can buy an upgrade in the future, cheaper than having it post-installed

Last edited:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Back as far as the 80's, some of the computer GIANTS, the likes of NCR and IBM, used to install their mainframe computers with the extra memory and processors already installed. When a customer wanted to upgrade, an engineer just came along and turned it on.

IBM still do with their mainframes. A bit of microcode controlling available CPUs.

Top Bottom