SKS Mudguards - a warning to the designer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Davidc

Guru
surely it isn't an enormous hardship as only done maybe once every ten years or so?

Not in my experience

I can take an SKS mudguard from "new out of the packet" to "broken, utterly useless" in 18 months

Variable IME. They usually get split or cracked when a tough twig gets tangled in the wheel, usually going fast downhill on a country road. Average life about 2 1/2 years.

That said after 2 years my Horizon still has the guards fitted as new equipment . Don't think they're SKS though.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I got my LBS to fit them for me ^_^

Me too :thumbsup: when I bought both of my bikes from them ... and so far the original ones are still on there... though the end caps aren't. (I've taped them up and tried other things but what is the best replacement for the end caps?

Davidc

Guru
Me too :thumbsup: when I bought both of my bikes from them ... and so far the original ones are still on there... though the end caps aren't. (I've taped them up and tried other things but what is the best replacement for the end caps?

If you mean the bits that spread and drop the water at the bottom/back end a small hole drilled through and a pop rivet works well.

I don't use the official things, a suitably cut bit of inner tube works better. Can't put any of those on the Horizon ones though.

If you mean the plastic bits that go on the end of the stays I've used araldite rapid successfully on those.

ohnovino

Large Member
Mine took several hours to fit, and the rears are held on by two strips of Meccano. That said, they're a great fit now, and I can take them on/off in a couple of minutes without any problems.

I'm dreading the day they break though, because I don't think I'm mentally strong enough to go through that ordeal all over again.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
No name on there. Maybe he's ashamed. I would be if I wrote that - part of my job involves writing user documentation and I'd be sacked if I wrote that garbage.

Maybe you could help him by re-writing said instructions so they are comprehensible, comprehensive, applicable to all types of bike/brakes/forks/....
thumbsup.png

There could even be some money in it too
dirol.gif
- if the eternal gratitude of hunners - thoosands even - of future no-stripe-up-the-back cyclists is not enough
icon_rolleyes.gif

New cash-generator in these straightened times
huh.gif

wink.gif

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Hmmm, I never looked at the instructions and had no problems, maybe that's the key.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
A wise man.

There's no problem once the instructions are in the recycling bin.

:biggrin: I'm not claiming any great fettling skills either, though I had messed about with mudguards before, but it's one of those things that seems pretty obvious. When I had to work around disc brake calipers then I sought help on here and picked up various images from the web.

spiderman

Fiddly to fit and plastic fittings pathetic, had to replace 2 with zip ties, also major mods required to rear when fitting to my spec secteur elite.

Adasta

Got my LBS to do it after reading about some of the savagery experienced by those on various bike forums.

They did it for £10 within 20 minutes. Worth it :thumbsup:

mattsccm

Think your selves lucky. I have just bought some Raleigh ones, made by SKS and with good reviews but no instructions at all.

I assume that the plastic wedge shaped thingies that fit over the eyes are some form of Qr and they go on the front but the angle they leave the stays at is not what is needed to fit the two mounting points. There are some bits of plastic that look like they fit partly around a round section tube but I haven't a clue what they do.
Once all that is sorted I have to make one fit round a disc caliper and invent some way of connecting the rear one to the BB which is about 6cm in front of the guard with no bridge. **&^%$"£!~

Top Bottom