Sky/equivalent HD TV output

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
My older sister is the only person I know with Virgin Media. Yes, the HD channels do look good ... If only they would actually use the HD channels! They always select the SD versions. They don't bother changing to HD even when I point it out.

My other sister has Freesat and similarly excellent HD channels but she doesn't bother with HD either - aaaargh!
I never get why people do that- it's not as if the HD difference isn't immediately noticeable! First time I visited the best mates at their current place, they'd just got an HD telly and we were watching BBC 4 SD…until I pointed it out. Second visit, it was HD only :smile:

One time in HMV I was browsing the movies and someone was going to buy a DVD, she didn't reckon blu-ray quality was much higher :wacko:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
The problem could be at the pair of LNBs on the dish ...
It WAS. After a few more months of intermittent problems the signal failed completely last week. Satellite dish man replaced the LNB assembly today and all is now well.

Broadside

Guru
It’s good to hear you’ve got it sorted, these intermittent problems can be a pig to sort out.

Bear in mind that hdmi cables can emit lots of interference, if you have one running near to the aerial/sat cable it can be enough to block out the signal. The answer is to minimise distance where they run together and use higher quality shielded cables. I had this problem recently, solved by getting rid of an expensive hdmi cable and using a cheaper one with better shielding, but also using a much higher quality coax cable with lots more shielding.

ColinJ

It WAS. After a few more months of intermittent problems the signal failed completely last week. Satellite dish man replaced the LNB assembly today and all is now well.
The repair lasted 15 months, but then the problems returned. One of the two tuners has been reporting no signal whatsoever for over a week.

I have reviewed all previous suggestions. I considered the possibility of gamma ray interference on the polarising transmogrification filter. Perhaps the problem is due to random fluctuations of the flux capacitor? Perhaps the electrons in the cable from the dish don't like cold conditions? Maybe a passing thug had knifed the cable where it comes down the wall into the house? Voltage fluctuations on the switching matrix? The wrong type of leaves on the dish...? :whistle:

Or maybe THIS might have something to do with it! :laugh:

Satellite dish problem diagnosed.jpg

PS Yes - the pointing IS messy, but don't blame me - it was like that when we got the house!

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I think NOT - I have no head for heights... In fact, even though fixing dodgy connectors is something that I have a lot of experience with, doing it from the top of a ladder isn't something I would enjoy. I may chicken out and pay someone else to do it! :smile:
The trick is to make sure the ladder extends well past where you're working so you can hold onto the ladder by sticking your arm through it, trying to work stood on the top of a too short ladder is definitely 'brown trouser' time.

sheddy

Legendary Member
Late to the game, but if you don’t want sporty stuff the Amazon Firestick is an easy fix.

ColinJ

The trick is to make sure the ladder extends well past where you're working so you can hold onto the ladder by sticking your arm through it, trying to work stood on the top of a too short ladder is definitely 'brown trouser' time.
Satellite dish guy freaked me out last year by turning round on his ladder (i.e. heels on rungs, toes in empty space!) and taking both hands off the ladder to install the new LNB! I had visions of him ending up hanging from the dish by one hand and asked myself if I would try to break his fall! :laugh:

Top Bottom