Sky Gigafast

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Anyone got Sky broadband , FTTH version ? Can you put their modem/router into bridge mode . I just want it to be a dumb modem , I have Deco Mesh devices handling WiFi etc .

I have FTTH with another provider and Deco Mesh devices handling WiFi but still let the provide’s router handle DNS etc.

You should be able to disable DNS on the Sky router and let something else handle it. At the same time you can also did the SSID and WiFi on the router. I’ve gone differently and set up the router WiFi as a guest network with has internet access but is isolated from the rest of the network.

OP
OP
MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Currently with Virgin and coming to the end of my contract . So have many more options now with FTTH . So exploring potential options but must be able to work with the Deco units . Need the WiFi coverage !

si_c

Guru
Currently with Virgin and coming to the end of my contract . So have many more options now with FTTH . So exploring potential options but must be able to work with the Deco units . Need the WiFi coverage !

Last time I looked (a couple of years ago admittedly) there was no way to put a sky router into bridge mode, your best option would be a double NAT with the Deco Mesh units if they require it.

Any particular reason for abandoning Virgin?

OP
OP
MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Last time I looked (a couple of years ago admittedly) there was no way to put a sky router into bridge mode, your best option would be a double NAT with the Deco Mesh units if they require it.

Any particular reason for abandoning Virgin?

Tbh I’m likely to stay if they offer a deal . However I am prepared to ditch the TV side of things and just keep the internet . So if bridge mode is an issue I might be stuck !! That’s a major problem if it is ! I require large foot print for WiFi coverage . So the mesh units are super for that ! No drop outs at all .

markemark

Über Member
I didn’t put router in bridge mode. However it is just plugged into a switch and works great as a modem. I have other WAPs with different wifi ssid. The sky one just sits there and isn’t used.

si_c

Guru
Tbh I’m likely to stay if they offer a deal . However I am prepared to ditch the TV side of things and just keep the internet . So if bridge mode is an issue I might be stuck !! That’s a major problem if it is ! I require large foot print for WiFi coverage . So the mesh units are super for that ! No drop outs at all .

Yeah that makes sense. The one advantage of Mesh is proper handover from unit to unit. That being said I found an enterprise class access point to cover my needs, albeit I have a much more complicated network setup than you probably do.

OP
OP
MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Yeah that makes sense. The one advantage of Mesh is proper handover from unit to unit. That being said I found an enterprise class access point to cover my needs, albeit I have a much more complicated network setup than you probably do.

Well I could have splashed the cash on Ubiquiti stuff or similar . However a bit of EBay refurb purchases and I've extended this quite a bit with 5 units dotted around the house . No dark spots at all and little if any dropouts or stuttering . It just works and the interface is easy enough . Got my smart stuff on a separate IoT network . A separate guest network as well . Copes ok .

si_c

Guru
Well I could have splashed the cash on Ubiquiti stuff or similar . However a bit of EBay refurb purchases and I've extended this quite a bit with 5 units dotted around the house . No dark spots at all and little if any dropouts or stuttering . It just works and the interface is easy enough . Got my smart stuff on a separate IoT network . A separate guest network as well . Copes ok .

Yeah I was looking at the ubiquiti gear, looks pretty, but I really hate the idea of either cloud management or having a separate network controller unit. On the other hand I have everything split into vlans, my PC is connected to my switch (also netgear) and is on a vlan with the NAS units and my RPi, then I have my work laptop on a separate vlan, with two wireless networks running off the access point. One is an open wifi network for guests/phones with the smart devices on their own separate 2.4ghz network and with a distinct vlan for each.

When I get security cameras at some point they will also all operate on a separate wifi network and vlan. I keep meaning to mess around with the QoS for each vlan and rate limit some of them, but I'm struggling to motivate myself to do so, I was also thinking about creating an open wifi guest network as well, but that seems a bit too much like work.

Like you I've gone for refurbs, but my router is just a cheap aliexpress unit running PfSense.

Top Bottom