Sky leader at the Vuelta?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Thomas? Kwiat? Henao?
Errrm, any others?
Poels didn't look great at the Tour. Bernal too young.

It must be a great temptation for Sky and SDB to win all three GTs in a calendar year.

I reckon Kwiat could do it with full team support.

thom

____
Exactly the question I was thinking about.
Froome and Poels deserve and require a bit of a rest.

Granite only has a few years left so I wouldn't be surprised if he will go.
Bernal too - if not for overall, then for young rider classification. Plus people who can get stage wins.
Kwiatkowski might be more so minded to have a tilt at the world's as opposed to the Vuelta gc.

Adam4868

Guru
Henao would be good,Tao g.Hart (forgot how to spell it !).? I think Froome will go.for the world's this year ?

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Froome. Finishing on the podium in all three GTs would be an absolute record, and there's no other way he (or Sky) can get one of those.

Edit: Maybe Sky winning all three in a calendar year would be a record - not sure. Perhaps in the days of national teams? But in any case, Froome targeting the Vuelta doesn't stop them trying to win it.

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Froome. Finishing on the podium in all three GTs would be an absolute record, and there's no other way he (or Sky) can get one of those.

Edit: Maybe Sky winning all three in a calendar year would be a record - not sure. Perhaps in the days of national teams? But in any case, Froome targeting the Vuelta doesn't stop them trying to win it.
Apart from Froome probably being totally knackered now, his wife is heavily pregnant so by the Vuelta he should be too busy with family matters for a few months?

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I was thinking Henao as the obvious choice for the Vuelta

Yeah, Sergio Henao or Diego Rosa. Maybe Kenny Elissonde? Depends which of them is in the best shape, I guess. Can’t see Froome or Thomas going to the Vuelta, tbh.

Tao GH ought to be in the team at least. Not sure I agree with @rich p about Bernal being too young - not based on his very mature performance over the last three weeks - but that performance is also the reason he might be too cooked for the Vuelta this year.

What about Dylan Van Baarle? He didn't make much impression in the Spring Classics and hasn't ridden either the Giro or Tour this year, so they must be saving him for something...

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Apart from Froome probably being totally knackered now, his wife is heavily pregnant so by the Vuelta he should be too busy with family matters for a few months?
I agree the new baby thing does indicate taking a big break. I didn't hear about that until later yesterday.

I haven't seen much evidence that Froome is knackered though. Improving, if anything.

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Looking at the names mentioned here and at Sky's roster, there seem to be a few lightly raced riders.
Money for old rope!

U

User169

Henao would be good,Tao g.Hart (forgot how to spell it !).? I think Froome will go.for the world's this year ?

The Graun describes TGH as a Scot today. Hadn't really though about it before - always thought he was straight outta Hackney .

His website says "British (Hackney, East London)". Does anyone know what the connection to Scotland is?

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
The Graun describes TGH as a Scot today. Hadn't really though about it before - always thought he was straight outta Hackney .

His website says "British (Hackney, East London)". Does anyone know what the connection to Scotland is?

"Is it because I is a ginger?"

I saw that Guardian piece and the Scottish thing caught me out too. Although come to think of it, his name does sound like it probably has some kind of Gaelic origins.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Thinking about Tao Geoghan Hart got me to wondering whatever happened to Alex Peters. Seems he left Sky to go back to the SEG Academy in 2016, citing "personal issues", and quit cycling altogether in 2017. That's a shame. Very talented kid.

As for TGH, he's of the age now where it's time for him to step up a level, so it would be great to see him being given his chance at the Vuelta. Not as team leader though - it would be his first Grand Tour and he hasn't ridden as team leader in any other race (afaik), so that would be too much of a step up.

Last edited:
Top Bottom