Sky Rides

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Hilldodger

Hilldodger

Guru
You'll have to come along to find out!

Other celebs aren't confirmed yet but some of the BC squad will be here and a TV presnter or two;)

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Normally, yes, but since my Mum is in Leicester, I'm tempted to go to that one instead. Just need to find a bike to ride.....

Dingerjsc

Hi Hilldodger, i have only cycled recreationally on a mtb in the past but have just bought my first road bike.
Some friends and i were thinking of doing the Glasgow cityride as an outing. Couldn't really find any details on distance etc?
Is it a fun cycle aimed at kids and families or will it be a good starting run for some newbies?
How long is the cityride roughly?

Many thanks

Dinger

solmisation

Hi Dingerjsc
As far as I can tell the city rides are a bit of fun, to try and get all the family involved. Last year the ride ran along a 2 mile streach of the river from Glasgow Green( entertainment ) to Bells bridge, with people riding up and down the route. If you log onto www.goskyride.com you will find a choice of diffferent ride with varying degrees of difficulty.

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
Dingerjsc said:
Hi Hilldodger, i have only cycled recreationally on a mtb in the past but have just bought my first road bike.
Some friends and i were thinking of doing the Glasgow cityride as an outing. Couldn't really find any details on distance etc?
Is it a fun cycle aimed at kids and families or will it be a good starting run for some newbies?
How long is the cityride roughly?

Many thanks

Dinger

Plenty on rides in and around Glasgow
http://www.goskyride.com/find-a-ride/default.aspx?cityid=5
The pace will depend a bit on how many and who turns up. There are restrictions on some, but there is nothing to stop a new cyclist with a full sus mountain bike turning up for a 25 mile "Ride Strong". So a ride could take 2 hours one week and over 3 the next.

dav1d

There's freebies after completing a certain amount of skyrides, a t-shirt after 3, a hoodie or rain jacket after 5 and a Team Sky jersey after 10. Thought it would count the ride I did last year but it doesn't. :biggrin: There's also freebies for refering friends.

Hilldodger said:
I've just been to a briefing and planning meeting. All I've got to say is WOW:biggrin:

I can't give details out (and hopefully I won't receive abusive emails again calling me arrogant and smug by saying that) but the official launch is on the 25th when the new cities, sponsors and attractions will be announced.

And Leicester has a LOT to be proud of:biggrin:

redjedi

Über Member
dav1d said:
There's freebies after completing a certain amount of skyrides, a t-shirt after 3, a hoodie or rain jacket after 5 and a Team Sky jersey after 10. Thought it would count the ride I did last year but it doesn't. :biggrin: There's also freebies for refering friends.

I hadn't seen the freebies before. There's a bit of a challenge for the summer, 10 rides to get a free jersey. May have to consider that.

It looks like even getting on a ride is quite tough, although I only checked out the most recent ones.

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
There are 20 weekends of rides left (excluding this week) so you could manage to get 2 jerseys, or more if you do 2 rides a day. Numbers depend on the route/type and varies between 20 and 30. You can put your name down on a reserve list then if someone drops out and tells them :biggrin: then you will get on.
You can turn up on the day and see if there are still places and they are all on public roads so no one will stop you cycling in the same direction. :wacko:

Top Bottom