Sky team at the Giro...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
...looks interesting. No Froome, EBH or Wiggins to lead the team but some sprint options, and some mountain men like Uran and Henao.
I'm not sure how road-fit Kennaugh and Swift will be but it's a varied outfit.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
my take on it:

brailsford has decided to put all the resource behind wiggins for le tour, and wants cav to win olympic gold. thus, sky will be set up for wiggins in france, whereas payback for cav will be having the team working for him, highroad style, at il giro, to win the sprinters' jersey. he'll probably get to ride le tour for the first week, win a few stages and then 'do a cippolini' as soon as the road gets lumpy, and spend the remaining time before the olympics in preparation.

with a green jersey and two wins on the champs elysees already, and with a long career ahead, it's not hard to see how cav may well consider the forsaking of le tour for one year.

interestingly, the tour of romandie so far suggests that team sky are capable of keeping wiggins high up in the gc as well as delivering cavendish to the line; it's just that the stages haven't suited him. keeping your main contender out of danger at the front is good practice anyway, so why not have the best sprinter in the world there to finish the job off at the end?

Noodley

No real surprises I suppose, should be quite good options for Sky to take a few stages and rumble up some surprises in the mountains. Might even be an option of a top 10 GC placing?

thom

____
9 guys right ?
Cav, Eisel, Stannard, Kennaugh, Swift, Thomas, Henao, Uran & Flecha.
Cav as team leader - the first week is remarkably flat. Looks like Cav will be going head to head with Goss in particular.
Flecha for breaks on lumpy days, Henao & Uran for vague GC ambitions and the rest for Eisel to organise into a lead out for Cav. Expect a decent amount of top end speed from the track guys if they're there at the end.

Top Bottom