Skyride coming to Southampton.. but..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
..the usual numpties are out in force (read the comments):

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/8183650.Huge_cycling_festival_coming_to_Hampshire/

But drivers do not drive across red lights on a regular basis, drive along pavements and expect the pedestrians to get out of the way, weave through stationary traffic where drivers cannot always see them, drive two or three abreast along main roads, have legal road races where they are oblivious to anything around them, and are only interested in winnng the race - I could go on, but my blood pressure would not stand it.

Legal road races? :tongue: Must be unfamiliar with filtering. Failure on your driving test sir. :biggrin: I also think he's got thumbs in his ears, hands over the eyes and is going "lalalalalala" if he hasnt noticed all that RLJ drivers do. :tongue:

But drivers do not drive across red lights on a regular basis, drive along pavements and expect the pedestrians to get out of the way, weave through stationary traffic where drivers cannot always see them, drive two or three abreast along main roads, have legal road races where they are oblivious to anything around them, and are only interested in winnng the race - I could go on, but my blood pressure would not stand it.

Sounds very like the average Southampton Driver to me!

I could go on, but my blood pressure would not stand it.
Perhaps a bit of exercise would be in order?

Mr Ellis, Southampton says...
4:03pm Tue 25 May 10 Here's an idea. If we are going to have a day when cars are not allowed on the roads, then please can we also have a day when bikes are not allowed. Then we could drive our cars without having to negotiate past these **** contraptions that should be outlawed. This is the modern world. We don't still ride horses to work, so why should you ride a bike?

Sickening.

OP
OP
downfader

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
hackbike 666 said:
Sickening.

LOL, Ellis' comment made me laugh. We should do it just to watch them squirm as all the cyclists get in their car, mwahaha! Thats about ATLEAST 300 extra cars through the main arterials of the city center. They'll go mental in all that traffic!:laugh::laugh::laugh:

I just rebutted RobJChases nonsense about seeing 12 cyclists and 8 were breaking the law, too.

Norm

Mr Ellis, Southampton says...
4:03pm Tue 25 May 10 Here's an idea. If we are going to have a day when cars are not allowed on the roads, then please can we also have a day when bikes are not allowed. Then we could drive our cars without having to negotiate past these **** contraptions that should be outlawed. This is the modern world. We don't still ride horses to work, so why should you ride a bike?
hackbike 666 said:
Sickening.
Possibly but unfortunately not uncommon. The 8 mile school run takes 1/3 longer over the past few weeks with all the extra cyclists. This is a rural commute and 30-odd cars had no impact on the traffic flow, unlike the 30-odd extra cyclists.

I see this "Mr Ellis" as a fat unhealthy Sotonian who would get in his car just to drive the fifty or so yards to collect his paper.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
automatic_jon said:
I keep reading the subject of this thread as:

and thinking "I wouldn't have thought they'd get far just going around Eastleigh?"

Harsh!:laugh:

I'm troubled by the Skyride concept. There's an undercurrent of 'do special cycling on this special day' that portrays riding a bike as somehow not a normal thing to do. Getting on a bike shouldn't need all this pfaff. Also, I'm no fan of corporate-sponsored happenings.

BUT, for me the big attraction of the London Skyride are the miles and miles of iconic thoroughfares. Much as I like Scum, I can't think of many roads that I'd make much of an effort to ride up and down just for the sake of it. Still, if is p1sses Mr Ellis off, I suppose I'll make the effort....:laugh: (me and Bolletta, yellow tandem, say hello!)

OP
OP
downfader

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Bollo said:
Harsh!:laugh:

I'm troubled by the Skyride concept. There's an undercurrent of 'do special cycling on this special day' that portrays riding a bike as somehow not a normal thing to do. Getting on a bike shouldn't need all this pfaff. Also, I'm no fan of corporate-sponsored happenings.

BUT, for me the big attraction of the London Skyride are the miles and miles of iconic thoroughfares. Much as I like Scum, I can't think of many roads that I'd make much of an effort to ride up and down just for the sake of it. Still, if is p1sses Mr Ellis off, I suppose I'll make the effort....:eek: (me and Bolletta, yellow tandem, say hello!)

I also think theres the added potential that less experienced cyclists and newbies will come into contact with clubs and experienced guys and girls. So in that respect it should be good

Headgardener said:
I see this "Mr Ellis" as a fat unhealthy Sotonian who would get in his car just to drive the fifty or so yards to collect his paper.

That's the thing isn't it...I wonder how many people rely so much on their cars that they do this.

PBancroft

hackbike 666 said:
That's the thing isn't it...I wonder how many people rely so much on their cars that they do this.

Lots.

I live opposite a shop. There is a car park next to the shop.

On a daily basis I see people get into their cars and drive to the shop - as they live so close I can see their entire journey (should I choose to watch it). They do not park in the car park of the shop, but instead park in the road in front of it.

Naturally, after buying their paper / overpriced catfood they then drive home.

@Kaipaith
Video it!

That first comment almost has it all, just add road tax and it's almost complete!

The "don't ride horses to work anymore", did anyone (in mass) ever ride horses to work? (other than carriages).

They must think that the car is still the most suitable transport for anything, what's next... get out of the way car... my luxury sofa bus is coming thruogh... what, you're driving a car? PAH! who drives to work in a tiny car these days! NO ONE!
Maybe this person also complains about large 4x4s on the road etc...? Or lorries (actually transporting their food and greed).

I wonder what London would be like if every cyclist for one day used their car instead? (assuming all have cars).

Please please, someone organise this to show just how bad it could be, pretty please.

Sailorchick

Excellent, and its even on a day when I'm in Southampton (sailing competition the day before) so can come and see what its all about.

The comments are just plain ridiculous on the echo, thankfully most car drivers on my commute are much more enlightened!

Top Bottom