Skyride Muppetry :(

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
My friend who lives down south keeps trying to get me to do the London to Brighton with him, but I always refuse for exactly the reasons stated here by many, it's just pure carnage and far too risky as it's full of inexperienced, unpredictable people out on their only ride of the year.

davefb

Guru
meh, well I went down as usual, since it goes past the bottom of the road.. had a good laugh..

It's clearly for beginners and the only muppetry I saw was someone on a very nice racing bike shoving their way past me whilst I was trailing 6 feet behind a very young kid with stabilisers... yeah great mate.. just wait ..

yeah, some people should avoid wobbling, but you just trail behind em and practice trackstanding. And tbh if you think this is bad, try skiing down a blue run ;)

now as for the stupid car driver who wanted to drive down the closed road, with no left turns, coned off and with 100 cyclists waiting to cross the road, belief was beggered.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Never doing the Birmingham one again. Here's why .....
34 Duller Still.jpg

33 Getting Duller.jpg

Seen one egg company lorry park, seen 'em all.

spen666

Legendary Member
^^^ this, not really designed for adults who ride bikes regularly

I certainly won't bother with the London one again, especially as it might well be the day before Ride 100

Sadly, what they do is encourage people to think its ok to swerve across the road, give no thought to road safety etc.

the op has it right, with some form of road discipline enforced, they could be a very positive infulence on cycling

Sods_Laur

Never doing the Birmingham one again. Here's why .....
View attachment 46733

View attachment 46732

Seen one egg company lorry park, seen 'em all.
The Birmingham one is cancelled anyway.

It's not really designed for ' serious ' cyclists, is more of a family day out on closed roads. So you do have to be careful of people who can't ride in a straight line and kids swerving all over. That said, I quite enjoyed it, even if it is slow, there something rather nice about being the only traffic on city roads.

AndyRM

XOXO
The one round Newcastle's quayside was good fun last year. A mate and I came up with the genius plan of refreshing ourselves here after each lap. We did 12 laps...

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Got caught up in the Ponteland to Wallington Skyride yesterday while we were on MrsA_T's and my first outing on the tandem... though it was going slower than we expected we had a good chat to a few of them and they were very friendly.... perhaps the Newcastle/ Northumberland group are a bit more savvy than others... certainly the 'challenging' ride description [I checked] brought out people better prepared on decent bikes [unlike our tandem!] who were keeping to the rules and not being stupid with 4 marshalls who gave decent instructions about potholes, cars and junctions... We left them at Bolam for a cafe stop!

Top Bottom