Skyrides 2010

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just been at a meeting with Sky, BC, RPM (the organisers) council, and other stake holders for a debrief on this year and the basic outcome from Sky is more, bigger, better:smile:

I can't wait for next year's Leicester event:smile:

Details should be signed off in early January and info will become available soon afterwards.

WeeE

Hope someone's told Glasgow City Council that persuading people out on a rainy day to "cycle a traffic-free city centre!" then roping off ONE ROAD-LANE a quarter-mile long between a river-bridge and a park - it dented their cred resoundingly. Specially since it's parallel to cycle path/lane anyway.

It was the people that made it a good day - not least the stewardy-type folk, a lot of whom seemed to be volunteers, and the cycling-professional stalwarts who turned out to encourage us all.

But it was a huge chance to give the actual city-centre back to its people, to let them experience "traffic-free" just for a few hours out of the entire year - totally f***ed and thrown away.

I am Spartacus

Über Member
Why the city....? boring....
Could you persuade 'em to close the M6 in Cheshire for a day and then we can all have a ng of a TT over the Thelwall?

Archie

Errrr.....
Hilldodger said:
and the basic outcome from Sky is more, bigger, better:smile:
Excellent stuff!

Now, if I wanted to badger my local council into doing something similar who can I name-drop to show I'm serious? I'd love something like this run round here, think it's an ideal place, and want to get people involved. PM if you can help.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I am Spartacus said:
Why the city....? boring....

Manchester ride was great - daughter's got her wheels now, so we'll all be doing it next year.

Oh riding through China Town was nice - all the cooking smells....hmmmmm :smile::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: - although can someone please please put out a few stalls there next year - you'll make a fortune........ :rolleyes:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I went on the very first London Freewheel a couple years back. It was fantastic fun. Got there just after they shut the roads to motons so managed to get a couple of nice laps in. Twas an excellent day. Unfortunately I have missed the last 2 London rides due to holidays... hopefully can make next years...

OP
OP
Hilldodger

Hilldodger

Guru
Archie said:
Excellent stuff!

Now, if I wanted to badger my local council into doing something similar who can I name-drop to show I'm serious? I'd love something like this run round here, think it's an ideal place, and want to get people involved. PM if you can help.

Who's your local council?

trio25

Über Member
Great news, Manchester one this year was great!

Top Bottom