Sleeping bags

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

byegad

Legendary Member
It's best to climb in feet first not head first. Pish taking aside, you needn't do up the hood drawstring - just leave the top open a bit more. A zipless one might be a bit claustrophobic - and zip also helps if it's a bit warm. Mummy style ones are warmer for a given weight.
Thanks for that. Sadly the inability to move one leg and not the other or move an arm to scratch my head was more the cause and I didn't get to the hood drawstring. So that was not the issue for me.

Ootini

I could be wrong but I would have thought there were limits on compression and if Vango could compress it further they would have done and used that as a selling feature.

I think I read you're taking a Vango Ark 200 tent, where's that going?

Edit: I see you've got the tent between panniers and a dry bag.
I think the next blog post will be dealing with the tent(s) and how/where to store them.

Ootini

If you can spare the cash then PHD are stunning. I have 2, the smaller being a Minim or Minimus - weighs 680g and packs amazingly small http://www.phdesigns.co.uk/down-sleeping-bags

I would get one with a zip though. I have a bigger one without and it lacks flexibility and got too hot

re sleeping mats I cannot speak highly enough of the Exped Synmats

Very, very nice, and possibly suitable for the OP as they haven't stated price range. For me though, massively too expensive.

HelenD123

Guru
Yeah that's pretty much it. I've got nothing against the Vango at all, I like the bag, it feels lovely and warm in comparison to the Tesco bag (which I didn't mention in the blog, may be I should have). The only reason I'd rather take the Tesco bag is purely down to the space saving. If I could find some method of compressing the Vango bag down to a similar size I'd be up for taking that instead. Plus, as I've mentioned on my blog, I intend to go camping in spring / summer, so if I can get away with the thinner, lighter bag, why not ? Not point carrying twice the weight and size if it's not needed.

I'd always prioritise a comfortable nights sleep over space saving. There's a large difference in their temperature range so make sure the Tesco one will suit you for the majority of nights. It's not fun waking in the night because you're cold (trust me!)

Ootini

I'd always prioritise a comfortable nights sleep over space saving. There's a large difference in their temperature range so make sure the Tesco one will suit you for the majority of nights. It's not fun waking in the night because you're cold (trust me!)
True. It kept me alive at 4 * c a couple of years back, but only just. If I go for the Tesco bag I'd be combining it with an insulating blanket like the thermartex one on the blog.

classic33

Leg End Member
I've been watching these recent touring threads with interest. I'm without any real camping experience so am learning what the basic requirements are and then deciding how to carry them on a bike. I think like you I don't want to spend excessively to find I don't like it, so it's a question of compromise, which isn't always good. I suppose if you take a thinner sleeping bag, that leaves more room for clothing which could be worn at night if the bag choice was wrong :biggrin:
Or buy/make a fleece liner.

Currently have one down sleeping bag(Vango), a five season Snugpak and a few three season sleeping bags.

For those considering buying a cheaper end bag. Bear in mind that just like every other piece of equipment, you may end up buying twice. If you're able, try and borrow one that comes closest to what you want, camp in your garden and try it there.

Milletts are currently having a clearout sale, have a gander at what they have to offer.

The temperature range often quoted on sleeping bags is subjective, and you'll find wide variances across a range of manufacturers for the same season rated bag. I think North Face actually dropped it from their rating, for this reason, for a while.

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
Nor being woken by someone you're sharing the tent with, because they're cold.

Ootini

I'll be adding another post to the blog this evening, dealing with the sleeping bags and how to carry them. I actually get the feeling that my concerns regarding the size of the Vango may be less serious than I thought. I'm thinking of popping the vango in it's stuff sack and throw it in the 15l dry bag with the vango ultralite sleeping mat. If it all fits as I'm hoping I can just strap that to the top of the rack and it's problem solved, with the tent going in smaller dry bags inside a pannier. I'll update later on.
Sorry if I've hijacked the thread, but the OP may be interested.

with the tent going in smaller dry bags inside a pannier.

Why, Why, Why put something that is designed to get wet in the panniers and is the first thing you need when setting up for the night - The sleeping bag getting wet is the last thing you need and should be the last thing unpacked when you are all set up snug and dry - so why put it anywhere near where there is the slightest chance of it getting wet - First thing that gets packed in the morning whilst you have a nice dry environment to do it in

Ootini

Why, Why, Why put something that is designed to get wet in the panniers and is the first thing you need when setting up for the night - The sleeping bag getting wet is the last thing you need and should be the last thing unpacked when you are all set up snug and dry - so why put it anywhere near where there is the slightest chance of it getting wet - First thing that gets packed in the morning whilst you have a nice dry environment to do it in
It will have to go in a dry bag anyway, as my panniers aren't waterproof, (well not very waterproof). It's more down to the practicalities of what's available than an ideal situation. The tent is split down in to two small dry bags, fly in one, inner in the other. I don't think any of this will change the order in which things get packed. Get up in the morning, pack the sleeping bag in to the dry bag, then pack up the tent in to the bags in the panniers.

Ootini

I could strap the tent dry bags to the top rack if I wanted, but I get the feeling it's easier to strap a single large bag than multiple smaller bags to the rack top.

I could strap the tent dry bags to the top rack if I wanted, but I get the feeling it's easier to strap a single large bag than multiple smaller bags to the rack top.

2009psot-10001.JPG

Top Bottom