"Slick" road tyres...Will I avoid dying?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

martint235

Dog on a bike
As well as avoiding white bits in the road, avoid anything metal: drain covers etc and those little squares near pedestrian crossings particularly when cornering. On my commute I have a tight right hand bend over a zebra crossing and believe me you wake up quickly if you're leaning the bike in the wet and it hits one of those square things!!! :angry:

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
When I started riding the road bike last year I couldnt trust the 23 c slick tyres and took it very easy around bends wet or dry. Now after a couple of thousand miles I feel safer on the road bike than the hybrid with wider treaded tyres.

Time to put 28mm tyres on the hybrid then ;)

OP
OP
perplexed

perplexed

Guru
Now the good folks of CC have explained the theories and the science behind the tyres, I feel alot more comfortable about going out and about, even in the wet.

Being in Sheffield, it's impossible to go more than a very short distance before hitting a steep hill, but I'm looking forward to improving my climbing! :biggrin:

Now the good folks of CC have explained the theories and the science behind the tyres, I feel alot more comfortable about going out and about, even in the wet.

Being in Sheffield, it's impossible to go more than a very short distance before hitting a steep hill, but I'm looking forward to improving my climbing! :biggrin:

Nah, you can go around hills or find zig-zag routes for many hills..that's the way I tend to do it

On the tyres...I'm more nervous cornering in the wet on my road bike with 23s (not fancy ones either, Mitchelin Oriums, £10 each approx) but I've had more actual little slips/wheelspins on the tourer with 32s - though I put the uphill wheelspins down to the extra weight - I'm not sure whether its all in my head, as I would say the 32s are less slippy but on evidence there is nothing to back that up

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
As well as avoiding white bits in the road, avoid anything metal: drain covers etc and those little squares near pedestrian crossings particularly when cornering. On my commute I have a tight right hand bend over a zebra crossing and believe me you wake up quickly if you're leaning the bike in the wet and it hits one of those square things!!! :angry:

The very first time I went out on the Felt to do a proper ride, I hit a kerb a speed (the way it was I didn't see it until it was too late - I wont make that mistake twice!). With a large BANG, the bike lurched up violently but still kept going.
Scared I had just knackered the wheel, I stopped and heard that I'd given myself a puncture!
It was 5 in the morning and the first train home wasn't for another hour, so I walked the bike home instead :blush: (I make sure I always carry a spare tube and pump with me now).

Top Bottom