slick tyres...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

col

Legendary Member
I believe in the wet ,you need a channel,to help let water move away from under the tyre,so slicks for wet conditions should have some sort of channel?I dont think its about aquaplaning,but the water acting like a lubricant,so making grip less sticky?

hubgearfreak

Über Member
col said:
I believe in the wet ,you need a channel,to help let water move away from under the tyre

i believe that three invisible boxes created life, the universe and everything.

don't make it true:biggrin:

read sheldons site and the experiences of slick users above

col

Legendary Member
hubgearfreak said:
i believe that three invisible boxes created life, the universe and everything.

don't make it true:biggrin:

read sheldons site and the experiences of slick users above

I would still never go into a wet bend with a pure slick,as i would in the dry.:biggrin:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You don't go into bends fast with any tyre in the wet - the wet isn't the problem, it's grease,oil and other crap. Treads will corner no faster, and what it is actually more important is the compound of the tyre.

You only need tread for off road, gravel tracks and the like - not tarmac. As said you would need to be going some silly speed to cause aquaplaning on a cycle.

col

Legendary Member
fossyant said:
You don't go into bends fast with any tyre in the wet - the wet isn't the problem, it's grease,oil and other crap. Treads will corner no faster, and what it is actually more important is the compound of the tyre.

You only need tread for off road, gravel tracks and the like - not tarmac. As said you would need to be going some silly speed to cause aquaplaning on a cycle.

Thats what i was trying to say about the wet,does the compound of a tyre stay as sticky on the road in the wet?I dont think i would feel comfortable doing the same speed round a wet bend,as i would in the dry,no matter what the compound?

hubgearfreak

Über Member
col said:
I dont think i would feel comfortable doing the same speed round a wet bend,as i would in the dry,no matter what the compound?

quite right too. water is a great lubricant, and that's why you seem to get more punctures in the wet as water lubricates the thorn or glass into the rubber. it is also why washing up is so dangerous as you can easily slice your hands on wet broken glass but not dry.

however, grip between road and bike relies on rubber to tarmac touching, and tread at the point of contact means that there is either a water or air gap which offers no friction at all. the risk of hydroplaning at cycling speeds remains zero

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
A tread only works in the wet if it leaves a channel for the water to disperse from under the rubber. Drive a car through a puddle and the tyre track on the dry road can clearly be seen. Got through a puddle on a bike and your track will appear as a solid line because the tread is not deep enough channel any water away.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The tyre compound makes a difference - I've done my fair share of testing tyres over the years - tread makes no difference wet or dry - a softer compound tyre will stick better in the wet or dry, but in the wet you get diesel over the surface, so that can negate any advantage.....

Tread won't help you, nor will slicks if there is 'grease' on the surface. What you'll usually find is that slick tread is on more expensive tyres, that generally roll better, hence grip as well.

I love the Michelin Pro Race 2's - outstanding tyres, the best I've used in a long time, and better than any Race Tubulars I used 10 years ago...grippy and fast, and 23mm's provide enough bump deadening....

I've used slick road tyres for 20 years, what is more important is the compound - like on racing cars, and motor bikes. The dual compound works well these days, I remember when you had to be careful cornering when the contact patch switched - was a bit skittish until full contact was made with the sticky bit.....

col

Legendary Member
hubgearfreak said:
quite right too. water is a great lubricant, and that's why you seem to get more punctures in the wet as water lubricates the thorn or glass into the rubber. it is also why washing up is so dangerous as you can easily slice your hands on wet broken glass but not dry.

however, grip between road and bike relies on rubber to tarmac touching, and tread at the point of contact means that there is either a water or air gap which offers no friction at all. the risk of hydroplaning at cycling speeds remains zero

Smokin Joe said:
A tread only works in the wet if it leaves a channel for the water to disperse from under the rubber. Drive a car through a puddle and the tyre track on the dry road can clearly be seen. Got through a puddle on a bike and your track will appear as a solid line because the tread is not deep enough channel any water away.

I understand about the aquaplaning,but wont a tyre sometimes just slip,because its wet?

Tynan

Veteran
I'm not arguing but why are so many tyres sold with tread?

is it just a huge lie? can the industry really not convince people they don't need tread?

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
So in effect when you buy a tyre with some tread you are getting less rubber for your £'s?

The only times I've come a cropper in the wet was owing to, manhole covers, deisel or wet brakes,

I've always prefered as little or no tread but I'm going to stick with
no tread in future, TY for the info.

Tynan

Veteran
Dave5N said:
So if wet surfaces are no less slippy than dry ones, why is cornering in the wet cause more offs in racing, and why do hard tracks stop races if it is wet?

who said that? of course wet is more slippery than dry

Top Bottom