Slicks on MTB

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
If you choose fat slicks (say 1.5" - 2.0") you will probably find both speed and comfort will be improved, on the road. Knobblies aren't particularly comfy on tarmac.
I switched to the mahoosive Shwalbe Big Apple's (2.35") and i love them. Quick compared to knobblies, comfy because they're fat, don't look out of place on an MTB, and had one thorn puncture when i first got them but none since (it's been about 8 years!)... I'll certainly be replacing them with something similar when they need replacing :okay:

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Yeahbut don't fat slicks sort of defeat the purpose? In so far as you're not getting narrower lighter but a thicker heavier one. You do get more comfort though I guess and certainly better than knoblies on the road.
it depends on the purpose? Trying to turn an MTB into a road bike by just changing tyres defeats 'a' purpose... just change the bike. Shifting away from knobblies because the terrain doesn't justify them, then go for fatter rather than thinner on an MTB. As you say, there will be a marked improvement on road.

Yeahbut don't fat slicks sort of defeat the purpose? In so far as you're not getting narrower lighter but a thicker heavier one. You do get more comfort though I guess and certainly better than knoblies on the road.
Fat slicks can have a thin, flexible, lightweight construction. At a price.

battered

Guru
Go for it, don't discount semi slicks for light on and off road use. I use Schwalbe CX pro on a knockabout bike, they handle greasy set towpaths, roads and similar.

kayakerles

Have a nice ride.
I have been using Schwalbe City Jet (26 x 1.50) on my MTB for the summer on road/ track/forest path. Very impressed even in the wet, though I don`t take too many chances - old bones don`t bounce! Just swapped them for Duro Raider (26 x 1.75) for the winter/mud/snow(?)
I have Schwalbe 26 x 1.5” too, Crossfire , but ones with a bit of tread. Schwalbe marathons, I believe. I will NEVER have anything else on my 1997 old school Bianchi MTB, k4lim, and I ride it mostly on street, and trails too whenever I want. On road it's like using 1-2 lower gears. Nothing “stupid looking” about it, and rides wonderful. :bravo:

71C86072-D9EE-40E7-9CA5-0C27F00E9398.jpeg

Top Bottom