Slicks on MTB

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

k4lim

Regular
Hello all
My original 29er tyres are now worn to the point where they need to be changed. The bike is an MTB with front tyre x 2.2" and rear x 2.1". I hardly use my bike off road now and is used only on road so for this I was thinking of switching to slicks for the speed. Of course comfort may be sacrificed a little but I'm fine with that. My main concern is will slicks fit my wheels given the current tyre sizes since slicks can go as thin as 1.5" and wheels have a minimum tyre size just as much as a maximum.
And also which fairly priced slicks do people recommend?

Thanks

My main concern is will slicks fit my wheels given the current tyre sizes since slicks can go as thin as 1.5" and wheels have a minimum tyre size just as much as a maximum.
You'll need to measure the INTERNAL rim width. Then lookup what the tyre makers say will fit that width. (or ask here if you're lazy!)

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You can get away with it. I ran 1.2 inch slicks on my old MTB for commuting - looked stupid, but the bike was quick.

You'd be better off with a different bike TBH - you always need more than 1,2 3..... :whistle:

Cycleops

Legendary Member

crossfire

I have been using Schwalbe City Jet (26 x 1.50) on my MTB for the summer on road/ track/forest path. Very impressed even in the wet, though I don`t take too many chances - old bones don`t bounce! Just swapped them for Duro Raider (26 x 1.75) for the winter/mud/snow(?)

Dolorous Edd

The bike is an MTB with front tyre x 2.2" and rear x 2.1". I hardly use my bike off road now and is used only on road so for this I was thinking of switching to slicks for the speed. Of course comfort may be sacrificed a little but I'm fine with that.

If you choose fat slicks (say 1.5" - 2.0") you will probably find both speed and comfort will be improved, on the road. Knobblies aren't particularly comfy on tarmac.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Yeahbut don't fat slicks sort of defeat the purpose? In so far as you're not getting narrower lighter but a thicker heavier one. You do get more comfort though I guess.
I run my Bootzipper (rigid steel 29er) on the Slick Comps with the tyres at around 40psi for road bias - plenty fast enough and will still do the off road stuff round here quite nicely.

sasquath

Since the rim is 622mm pick any tyre you like from 28" 29" and 700c sizes you like, make only sure they fit our rim width.

Top Bottom