Slight warp on rear rim

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yashicamat

Evening all,

After wrestling to get the jammed on campag freehub cup off, I think I've managed to warp my rear Mavic Open Pro slightly.:sad:

If I now adjust the brakes so the pads are virtually touching the rim, if I spin the wheel it catches at one point on every rotation.

Looking along the rim and spinning it, there is a tiny deflection, perhaps 1mm if not less . . .

Is this something to get fixed, or live with it until/if it gets any worse? It seems to ride fine and the brakes seem to operate smoothly too.

Cheers.:smile:

on the road

Über Member
The wheel is not warped but just very slightly out of true, it's just a case of truing it up. But 1 mm is nothing.

Deadeasy if you have a spoke key - identify the spot where the rim hits the brake and then tighten the spoke on the other side of the rim nearest to the bump and loosen the spoke on the side of the deflection each by 1/4 turn - this will draw the wheel back into true. If the deflection is directly alongside a spoke then loosen that by 1/4 turn and tighten the two surrounding spokes on the other side by 1/8th of a turn.

Then check the wheel and repeat the proceedure if there is still a deflection.

The important bit is to not rush and fix it in one go - always use small turns of the spokes.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Most beginners (and I was one not long ago) turn the nipple the wrong way at first, which makes the deflection worse.

Looking at the rim from outside the circumference, remember that the nipple is a nut, and the spoke is a very long thin bolt - then it will make sense which way to turn it.

It always seems the "wrong" way if you look at it from the hub end.

But if tyre is off, do not look directly at rim when tightening, in the very unlikely event of a spoke shearing it will be heading for your face rather too quickly for comfort.

Top Bottom