Slight wheel noise.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stwutter

Hi all.

About 5 months ago, I did something heinous... I put gold Shamals on my bike.

I know, I know - but they look great - honest... :biggrin:.

Anyway, I've been off the bike for 2 months with a knackered back , but I'm glad to say that I'm back cycling now. I used to be mega-precious about every tiny element of my bike, but being off it for a while made me just appreciate the fact I can ride again, but... I do have one issue I thought I'd run by everyone.

Whilst cycling, I get a small clinking noise, every wheel revolution. It's not the drive train, as it happens when I free-wheel. It doesn't happen on my turbo either. Also, there's no noise when I spin the wheels whilst the bike's upside down. So my conclusion is that it's the front wheel, whilst under load - and it does seem to come from that area.

The wheel's perfectly true, and the spokes are nice and equally tight. In fact, due to my bad back, they've not really done the mileage to be any different. I've had the tyre off, changed the tube, but it's still there.

TBH it's very minor, and if I forget it's there, it doesn't bother me at all. I did read once that lighter wheels (Shamals are sub 1400g a pair I think) are more prone to making noise than some heavier ones - not sure if that's accurate or not though?

Anyway, thought I'd throw it out there for any suggestions - I'm not pulling the bloody thing apart like I once would've though!!!

:biggrin:

walker

is it coming from the Hub? what hub's are you running? are they campag hub's or were they hand built?

02GF74

Über Member
were these new? Then speak to shop.

Remove wheel, hold the spindle and spin the wheel; you can usually feel any rough vibrations whcih would indicate something is wrong with the bearings.

Also with wheel in frame, holding rim try to move wheel side to side and see if there is any play in the hub.

I;m kinda gamblin that maybe the grease has dried due to wheels not being used but that is just a theory.

spoke theory - use some greas at the spots where they cross - if the noise goes, then that is it, if not, it isn't and wipe grease off.

OP
OP
Stwutter

Stwutter

02GF74 said:
were these new? Then speak to shop.

Remove wheel, hold the spindle and spin the wheel; you can usually feel any rough vibrations whcih would indicate something is wrong with the bearings.

Also with wheel in frame, holding rim try to move wheel side to side and see if there is any play in the hub.

I;m kinda gamblin that maybe the grease has dried due to wheels not being used but that is just a theory.

spoke theory - use some greas at the spots where they cross - if the noise goes, then that is it, if not, it isn't and wipe grease off.

Cheers.

the wheel runs smoothly in the frame, and I've checked for any play, and there's none. I don't think the grease has dried - the noise was there not long after buying them (Wiggle) before I had my lay-off.

So far as greasing where the spokes cross, front Shamal spokes don't.

Any onw with any other ideas, great, but I think I might just live with it. It comes and goes.

frog

Checking spokes are under tension is very easy. Just go around the wheel and tap each one with a spanner. You'll soon notice a difference in tone if you find a loose one.

Otherwise, you can get a spoke spanner and see how much it resists turning. They should be pretty uniform in tension on a front wheel. I've had wheels which are wonderfully true but when checked have a couple of spokes just over finger tight. Tightening them up didn't alter the shape of the wheel one bit as they weren't holding it together in the first place :wacko:

domtyler

Über Member
Have you got a spare front wheel? If so, swap it out and see if the noise is still there or not. This will confirm or not that it is definitely the front wheel.

Could the counter magnet be causing it?

Teensy flexion in the spoke causing interference - maybe turn the magnet 'inwards' a touch?

I used to have a slight 'pinging' noise from my back wheel (Ksyrium) - solved by oiling the points at which the spokes entered the hub... :wacko:

OP
OP
Stwutter

Stwutter

Ok. I've gone round the front wheel spokes (which I'm sure are the culprit - the noise ids a faint pinging sound -similar to the one you get having just adjusted spoke tension, and the spokes are unwinding slightly). I've tightened the spokes about half a turn each, up to the point where there was a very slight change in wheel shape, so turned it back a touch. From feel and the noise they make, they're all pretty equal. Test rode it, and the noise has diminished, but is still there.

I think maybe I'm just being really fussy. Every bike has a 'base' level of noise I guess, and maybe this is mine...???

I really don't wanna tighten the spokes any more for the sake of it, and end up braeking one for the sake of a nearly non-existent noise, but not sure if I'm just being a fuss-pot, or looking for a real problem (or one that doesn't exist...).

Any sage-esque advice app.

OP
OP
Stwutter

Stwutter

Aperitif said:
I used to have a slight 'pinging' noise from my back wheel (Ksyrium) - solved by oiling the points at which the spokes entered the hub... :smile:

I started this thread a while back, but haven't had much time to sort it recently.

Anyhow, had the day off today, so, as the only thing I hadn't tried was putting a drop of oil where the spokes enter the hubs, I did so, gave it an hour to work in, and headed out - in beautiful, non-pinging silence. Not a peep.

Nice one fella.

:biggrin:

Top Bottom