Slightly odd electrical poser

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I run Ctek chargers on vehicles that don't get much use to keep them in good order, ready to use.
run 240v extension under car and into engine compartment, place charger under bonnet also, secure aprt from cable
I think this is the best way unless you want to go down the solar route. A dedicated smart car charger will be worth the money, they will put out a higher power when the battery is low, and then enter maintenance mode when it's full. Also cabling etc is properly rated for that specific use. The extension cord and charger under the bonnet is also a better idea as it will not get wet (unless you get heavy sideways rain) - you should be able to close the car bonnet fully with the extension cord running under it, there's usually a good gap somewhere or you can leave it on the latch if not enough room to close.

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
No the controller is a regulator without it you could boil the battery on a sunny day

It's arrived! Um...can I ask, did you find it reasonably easy to set up/use? I'm not finding the user's manual massively intuitive. :wacko: (This is not uncommon, and I acknowledge my own share of the blame.) I can see how to wire it to the panel and battery, but as for setting parameters - unh? And what is 3-stage PWM charge management? I need to know.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
It's arrived! Um...can I ask, did you find it reasonably easy to set up/use? I'm not finding the user's manual massively intuitive. :wacko: (This is not uncommon, and I acknowledge my own share of the blame.) I can see how to wire it to the panel and battery, but as for setting parameters - unh? And what is 3-stage PWM charge management? I need to know.

To me honest I just wired it up and didn't touch the parameter settings and it is working fine and has been since April, if it ain't bust.....

DRM

Guru

I would hazard a guess that 3 stage PWM charge is basically the charge cycle, 1 Bulk charge when the charger is putting a high current in, 2 Gassing, this when the electrolyte can be seen bubbling as hydrogen gas is given off, 3 Equalising charge where it attempts to bring all cells up to the same state of charge.

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
To me honest I just wired it up and didn't touch the parameter settings and it is working fine and has been since April, if it ain't bust.....

Thanks. That was what I was hoping to hear ^_^ :okay:. Still faffing around with the battery at the moment, but once I've sorted that I'll definitely be installing this.

Top Bottom